Script condition help

Thanks for that, I was trying to make it work via the HA UI, I know most people prefer to do it yaml and it looks like I need to go the same way.

The automation and script UI needs some love to bring it up to speed. For example duplication of actions/coditions, re-arranging actions and duplication of entire automations/scripts.

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. I don’t think many people use it. Only beginners usually. I suggest learning yaml. You’ll have headaches at first, but once it clicks it becomes second nature.

1 Like

So I couldn’t get your example to work so I read the docs and came up with the following which works great. Notice the delay between one Alexa TTS and the other so they don’t cut each other off:

'1533219231046':
  alias: Plant Moisture
  sequence:
  - data:
      message: The moisture is {{states.sensor.calatha_orbifolia_moisture.state}}
        percent.
    service: notify.downstairs_dot
  - below: '15'
    condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.calatha_orbifolia_moisture
  - delay: 00:00:2
  - data:
    service: notify.downstairs_dot

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 Like

Out of interest are you using alexa tts?

Yep, as per here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/8s0q66/alexa_text_to_speech_support_for_home_assistant/

Hi all,

same problem with different sensor.

I want to check if cover is under a particular position and in case condition is true set cover position to 100

I tried different configuratione: none worked.

- condition: template
  value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') <= 25 }}"
# - condition: numeric_state
  # entity_id: cover.tapparella_studio
  # below: 25
- service: cover.set_cover_position
  data_template:
    position: 50
    entity_id: cover.tapparella_studio
  # entity_id: cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele

any help appreciated!

assuming your “current_position” returns something that can be converted to a number (no symbols such as %, etc) then this should work:

value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"

and you don’t need to use “data_template:” in your action service call. “data:” will work since you aren’t aren’t actually using a template in that section.

well I changed based on your post and unfortunately nothing changed.

Here’s the new code:

value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"
  data:

the current position returns a number and when the position is under 25 the condition is true.

Where’s the error in the condition?

if the condition is true (as it should be from the template) i’m not understanding what you are saying isn’t working.

Maybe it would help if you post the entire automation.

Here’s the script (it’s a script, not an automation)

script:
  buonanotte:
    sequence:
    - service: automation.turn_on
      entity_id: automation.accendi_luce_disimpegno_se_rilevato_movimento
    - service: automation.turn_on
      entity_id: automation.accendi_luce_corridoio_se_rilevato_movimento
    - service: switch.turn_off
      entity_id: switch.notte_comodino_marco
    - service: switch.turn_off
      entity_id: switch.notte_comodino_irene
      data:
        position: 35
        entity_id: cover.tapparella_stanza_da_letto
      value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_cucina', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"
      # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_cucina', 'current_position') <= 25 }}"
      # entity_id: cover.tapparella_cucina
      data:
        position: 100
        entity_id: cover.tapparella_cucina
      value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_soggiorno', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"
      # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_soggiorno', 'current_position') <= 25 }}"
      # entity_id: cover.tapparella_soggiorno
      data:
        entity_id: cover.tapparella_soggiorno
    # - condition: template
      # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"
      # # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') <= 25 }}" 
    # - service: light.turn_on
      # entity_id: light.yeelight_mono1_286c07b192d2
      # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_studio', 'current_position') <= 25 }}" 
      # entity_id: cover.tapparella_studio
      data:
    # # - condition: numeric_state
      # # entity_id: cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele
      # # below: 25
      value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"
      # value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele', 'current_position') <= 25 }}"
      data:
        entity_id: cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele

you need to correct the formatting of the post. its really hard to read like that especially one that long.

edited. Sorry.

are you trying to check the state of the cover or an attribute of the cover in the condition?

Yes: condition checks cover position and if below a percentage the script should open the cover.

Then if the condition is the state and not an attribute of the entity then you are using the wrong method.

Change “state_attr” to “state”.

Your script contains multiple conditions. I assume you know the script will stop at the first condition that evaluates to false.

value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_cucina', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"

value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_soggiorno', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"

value_template: "{{ state_attr('cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele', 'current_position') | int <= 25 }}"

So if the value_template for cover.tapparella_soggiorno evaluates to false, the script ends processing there and won’t continue to check the other conditions for cover.tapparella_studio and cover.tapparella_stanza_di_adele.

so what do you suggest to manage it? create different scripts?

Based on your response, I’m going to assume you were not aware of how conditions work in a script. Therefore the answer to your original question is that there was nothing wrong with the condition’s template. The problem was the script never processed it because it halted execution at the previous condition (that had evaluated to false).

Scripts are a sequence of instructions. Script processing stops at the first condition that evaluates to false. Scripts do not have flow-control like ‘if this is true then do something else do other thing’.

Your script contains a long sequence of checking the position of several covers and moving them if required. I suggest you create separate automations to handle each cover. The script calls each automation. That’s what you’re already doing at the beginning of the script (calling other automations).

Alternately, you can create a python_script to replace parts of your script (perhaps just the parts handling the covers) or even the entire script. A python_script provides more flexibility and control than a script.

1 Like

Thank you very much for yout feedback and your support. As you told I was not aware that condition in scripts work differently.

I will try to reach the same gol using automation maybe (because I’m not a programmer so I don’t have skills to write a python script.

Just to update everyone I devices to move over to Node-Red which opened up its own level of complexity but has allowed me resolve my question.