Script response time

I have two scripts… they both announce the arrival of the person that the device tracker (using Life360) is configured for.

The problem is that one fires relatively quickly the other is always delayed… like 5min…

They both reside in the same automation file … same script file which uses the same group file that holds all household echos…

How can this be?

- id: '1565971368576'
  alias: Announce Shannons Home
  trigger:
  - entity_id: device_tracker.life360_shannonXXXXX
    platform: state
    to: home
  condition: []
  action:
  - data: {}
    service: script.shannon_home_announcment
- id: '1565972702040'
  alias: Announce Aarons Home
  trigger:
  - entity_id: device_tracker.life360_aaron_XXXXX
    platform: state
    to: home
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: script.aaron_home_announcment

Known Device file

life360_aaron_pitts:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac:
  name: Aaron
  picture: https://www.life360.com/img/user_images/8dee7284-f002-46d9-ac90-5c856a683480/7ad81322-4f71-4181-b957-d02b73db4311.png?fd=2
  track: true

life360_poncho:
  icon:
  mac:
  name: Devin
  picture: https://www.life360.com/img/user_images/dde4132b-bb83-4b47-8cdf-40defa0fee42/f5ad6637-1acf-4ecc-85bb-b394d97e87a9.png?fd=2

life360_shannon_roux_pitts:
  icon:
  mac:
  name: Shannon
  picture: https://www.life360.com/img/user_images/a0728148-475e-4aea-8854-f80e9596e499/9253b290-8d2b-4351-8cd3-f9de3ca31130.jpg?fd=2

Script thas called

shannon_home_announcment:
  alias: Announce Shannon is home
  sequence:
  - data:
      data:
        method: speak
        type: announce
      target: group.wenogotta_echos
    service: notify.alexa_media
aaron_home_announcment:
  alias: Announce Aaron is home
  sequence:
  - data:
      data:
        method: speak
        type: announce
      target: group.wenogotta_echos
    service: notify.alexa_media

Are they both the same make and model of phone?

iPhones in particular are known for unpredictable GPS location updates, which could cause a delay in Life360 updates.

No… Both are Androids… her’s is older S4 and mines an S7…

That might be something to look at…
THX

I’d also guess it has something to do with the individual phones and how their settings are configured. You can rule out an issue in HA if you look at the state history of the device_tracker entities, or look in the Logbook. Do the states in HA change immediately when you both arrive home, or is one of the state changes delayed? If the state change is delayed, then the problem is between the phone and Life360.

I’d guess the phone associated with delayed updates might have a power saving mode turned on. That could do it. It’s probably best to check Life360’s FAQs.

I think you’re correct… The states do change at the appropriate times… and within 10 seconds of being home (within the geofence)

I’ll check our phones… I did notice that my phones location setting was set to ‘Phone Only’ Vs Phone and GPS…

THX

Wait, that’s opposite to what I was saying. ???

If the states are changing promptly, but the announcement(s) is/are delayed, then the issue is not with the phones.

So… I changed the Location setting on my phone… to use GPS AND Cell Towers… and things are better… great call Phil!