Secondary local wifi

Hi, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to set up a secondary wifi just for my esp and wifi smart devices. The thought is to not limit the network speed on my primary network by having many devices connected. I was thinking something like a repeater setup (It uses a different ssid and password). Maybe a secondary wifi from the same router would also work, like a guest wifi. Any thoughts if this is a god or bad idea is appreciated :slight_smile:

I think it’s a good idea from a security and privacy perspective, especially if you use cloud connected sockets or esp-based devices, but it’d require you to have some knowledge to configure your router to pass data between the two networks.

1 Like

A guest wifi won’t work easily. Typically guest networks can’t access anything on the main LAN.
I do have a WiFi repeater connected to the main router by Ethernet and I use a separate SSID on it but that’s just to avoid conflicts. Devices connecting still get an IP address from the DHCP server on my main router.
I only do this because WiFi is a bit dodgy at that end of the house.

1 Like