Secure remote access to Home Assistant using Tor

Yes it does. You get a unique link to your home assistant instance which you reach via the tor network.

1 Like

Hi @breinonline

How were you able to add custom torrc entries on Onion Browser, Red Onion or TOBY browser ?

I can’t find a way to do that and by searching the community I see other members are writing the same problem…

EDIT: I can’t find TOBY browser on App Store…

I didn’t add anything. Just typed in the union address the add-on for hass.io gave me. But that didn’t work on the iPhone.

1 Like

I think I’ve installed the TOR client on my rasp3 from this log, but when I try the dot.onion address on the TOR browser on my PC or ipad they are unable to connect to home assistant - what am I doing wrong or (not doing) ?
INFO: -----------------------------------------------------------
[cont-init.d] 90-hostname.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
starting version 3.2.4
[services.d] done.
May 08 16:28:17.609 [notice] Tor 0.3.1.9 (git-727d3f1b5e6eeda7) running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL LibreSSL 2.6.3, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma N/A, and Libzstd N/A.
May 08 16:28:17.609 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
May 08 16:28:17.610 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
May 08 16:28:17.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv4 file /usr/share/tor/geoip.
May 08 16:28:19.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv6 file /usr/share/tor/geoip6.
May 08 16:28:20.000 [warn] You are running Tor as root. You don’t need to, and you probably shouldn’t.
May 08 16:28:36.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 0%: Starting
May 08 16:28:42.000 [notice] Starting with guard context “default”
May 08 16:28:42.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network
May 08 16:28:43.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop
May 08 16:28:43.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit
May 08 16:28:43.000 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
May 08 16:28:43.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done

Any updates on this topic? Is there any ios browser which can access HA through tor?

@ShoePac did you try out red onion or any other pay app?

Yes, I tried every available and as for now I think there is still no solution for iOS. But the guy from TOR are planning to develop something like Androids Orbot in order to have ability to edit torrc file… For now, as I now, only for Android. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I would be happy to be wrong :slight_smile:

Nice idea.

Why not run an OpenVPN server at home and connect to that?

You then get all the access you need. Benefits are it’s encrypted, can be hardened and use 2FA

I’ve installed the add on and got a .onion address.

I can connect to Home assistant, but if I try to open Hass the page remains blank.

So Hass only works on chrome. It’s now working with Tor chrome extension.

If certificates are not used (for SSL/TLS), aren’t the connections to the TOR network in the clear. Can someone snoop on the traffic between the TOR browser and HA and if so, what can they do?

So I have the Tor Addon working :slight_smile: I really like it so far. This is my config:

{
“log_level”: “info”,
“socks”: true,
“hidden_services”: true,
“stealth”: false,
“client_names”: [],
“ports”: [
“8123:80”
]
}

I’d like to be able to access node red http://hassio.local:7681/
and the terminal app http://hassio.local:1880 over it too.

What would be the correct syntax for the config to add these ports so that I can access them over Tor?

I tried a search but couldn’t find anything, and I tried experimenting and made my device unavailable on :8123. I’ve restored from backup, but keen to find the right syntax.

I tried
“8123:80”,
“7681:80”

but that broke it.

I tried
“7681”

but that broke it too.

@frenck any suggestion?

Please read the documentation, since your answer is in there.

I’ve also tried

“7681”

Then accessing http://uygrewgfxxxx.onion:7681

But the browser just hung and didn’t load the page

The ports on the outside end must be unique. Applications cannot share ports (not a tor issue btw, just the way the internet works).

I also tried

“7681"

Then accessing http://yugfrheriepogr.onion:7681

But that didn’t work, and also made my device inaccessible.

1 Like

I’ve just tested it, fresh installation, with Home Assistant (Hass.io), the latest Tor add-on and the latest Node-RED add-on.

Next I’ve used the following configuration:

{
  "log_level": "info",
  "socks": false,
  "hidden_services": true,
  "stealth": false,
  "client_names": [],
  "ports": [
    "8123:80",
    "1880"
  ]
}

Could access it via Tor just fine.

Thanks! That is working now.

I guess I had a network problem between me and the Pi previously.

@frenck
Franck, many thanks for this great add-on!

Made my HASS IO installation much more secure (using stealth mode) while still having remote access to all ports/services I need using the VPN mode and hidden services. No more port forwarding needed on my router as well.

:+1:

3 Likes