Secure remote access to Home Assistant using Tor

Exactly the same error here… And additional this similar one:

Logging in with Home Assistant Local .
Error: Message format incorrect: required key not provided @ data[‘redirect_uri’]

Already set the base_url in configuration.yaml to my .onion domain, but that doesn’t help and is not needed as far as I have understood.

So could anybody help with this?

Pretty sure this is a Firefox issue:
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/17528

So TOR is not going to work either.
I managed to troubleshoot my port forwarding issues and so moved away from using .onion service

Seems it has been fixed here:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-polymer/pull/2860/commits/1d87a44d9f7b6528c065e8a6b50153974dcd68d9

Hope it’s fixed in the next update

1 Like

Which Android Tor browser do you recommend?

With Tor browser reach my hass instance but I receive this error

Logging in with Home Assistant Local.
Error: Message format incorrect: required key not provided @ data[‘client_id’]

Hi
Followed the instructions and i have the same config as this one.
I can open the 8123:80 just fine and everything works well but accesing Node Red from the menu it navigates me to

Any hints what might be the issue?

Hi

I have a Synology NAS at home. I run a VPN server on that. I connect the client to my VPN from anywere. (no ports open)
And I can control everything.
So you’ll need a device to run a server and a OpenVPN client. A lot of routers can be used as a OpenVPN server.

I thought that to use VPN you need to open at least one port in the router

My mistake, you right.

Any update for iPhone settings? Using onion Browser and I can get to login page of hass.io without any problems, but when i type login and pass i am getting just the hass.io logo and “retry” button. I just tried Red Onion II browser and this is getting only to “initilasing” when accesing hass.io

I am running HassOS 4.16 with TOR-addon 2.4.1 and just installed recent version 2.7.1 of ios Onion browser.
Unfortunately behaviour is still exactly the same as Tom described: successful connection to ha-instance, no prob to log in but then retry button appears (pressing it leads back to login).

Has someone made any progress on this topic?
Thx in advance for any hint on how to overcome this problem!

Is that tor support only for web GUI (with browser) or if you direct all the Home Assistant for Android through Orbot, then i can use all the sensors of all persons phones with reasonable lag without having all neccessary ports open by ISP?

Hey guys! New to Tor, setting up remote access for homeassistant was my reason to try it. I got what is possibly a newbie question - where exactly can I see the ‘client name’ needed for stealth authentication? Or where do I set it on the client? I got it running without stealth (using Tor browser on Android), but when I try to set up stealth authorization (inputting .onion address and cookie as custom HidServAuth string in Orbot settings), it doesn’t seem to work. I just used a random client name when generating the cookie in HA, thought it was like a label, but now I think it might actually mean something. Any help appreciated!

Hi Dears, I’m able to access through the Onion Browser in iOS, and loggin, the problem is when they load the data.
I used a regular linux Tor Browser and works, but not with Onion Browser in iOS. any clue if this is Onion Browser configuration or just iOS limitation?
Thanks in advance.

Anyone got this working while using ssl on hass ?

Right now i can connect with tor but getting unsecure message.
and my second server using no ssl gets a secure connection on tor.

any idea’s ?

regards

Hi!

I am not able to open File Editor page (http://192.168.0.30:8123/core_configurator/dashboard) remotely via Tor add-on. What do I wrong?

I think I’m missing something obvious. In the past I could use the tor hiddenservice with version 2.

I’m using home assistant core, running on armbian. I’m using a quite default setting:

HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/homeassistant/
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:8123
HiddenServiceAuthorizeClient stealth haremote1
$ sudo systemctl status tor
● tor.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Mon 2023-01-23 20:17:46 UTC; 4s ago
    Process: 3525 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 3525 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 23 20:17:46 tinkerboard systemd[1]: Starting Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)...
Jan 23 20:17:46 tinkerboard systemd[1]: Finished Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master).

I can’t seem to get any response when browsing to the generated onion address (with or without port names xxx.onion:80 xxx.onion:8123) through the tor browser (nor from laptop nor from phone). What are typical debug steps to figure out where the issue lies?