Security Alarm Indicator [Solved]

I have recently replaced my old brinks alarm system and with a konnected system. I removed the old keypad and replaced it with a gang box that now holds the wiring to a 10"inch tablet that is magnetically mounted to the face plate.

I am looking for an inexpensive way to indicate when the alarm is active. Right now I have a red light bulb come on in a near by lamp when the system is armed. I would like to get a small LED strip to mount on the back of the tablet that I could change the color of depending on the alarm state. The components would have to be small enough to mount in the gang box or be attached to the back of the tablet.

I also run appdaemon and I have an alarm widget setup. I thought about changing the widget color red when armed but I could not find any way to change the color of a widget after arming the system. Basically, I need this to pass the wife test so it is blatently obvious when the alarm is armed. Any suggestions?

I finally got this figured out if this helps anyone. I ended up buying a small ws2812b strip with 30LEDs and a D1 mini that I flashed Tasmota firmware on - total cost around $11. There were 4 wires going to the existing alarm pad before I removed it. I re-purposed 2 of them to charge the tablet at 12v and the other 2 run through a 12v-5v converter to power the D1 and the LEDs. I am using Node-Red and MQTT to change the LED colors based on the alarm state and it works great.

alarm2

alarm

2 Likes