Sending commands to home assistant from harmony remote

I’ve had a harmony remote with hub for a while now and have only managed to get it to do IR stuff and connect to Amazon fire stick, but never any smart stuff like lights, plugs, blinds etc but have always wanted to. The list of home control options feels limited and doesn’t include systems I use. I’m looking at migrating to a zigbee based system (lights, plugs etc). I know there is a harmony extender device but this seems hard to get hold of and pricey. What I really want is some way of using one of the harmony device options to connect to some software which possibly spoofs or is just compatible with that option, which could then give me more options. Or in other words a cheap way to receive harmony commands and translate to another system.

Or even better, (hence why I’m posting here) a way of just getting the harmony to somehow send a trigger to home assistant, then home assistant can then trigger anything it already has setup, I.e. use the harmony as a remote control for home assistant. Has anyone done anything like this / or have any ideas please?

Look at emulated roku. Emulated Roku - Home Assistant
It lets you make a fake roku that you can add to your harmony setup and do things based on the button pressed.

I did this with my previous two systems so can’t see why HA wouldn’t do it.
If you have a global cache you can send commands to it and have them trigger anything you want. ie devices, automations etc.

What I do is pick a device with a whole lotta controls ( I use Yamaha A/V Receiver) but something you don’t own.
Then add that to Harmony. Using the GC to receive the commands and then use that command as a trigger.
Pretty easy to do and works great.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out!

Got it working! Thanks so much! One more question though! How do I do the bit that says “ Using a proxy with whitelisted IP addresses is recommended. (set advertise_ip to the proxy’s IP or DNS name)” ?