Sending Tautulli notifications to Signal Messenger Groups, using HA & MQTT

I have been working on finding a solution for sending Tautulli updates into a signal group and I finally figured out how to utilize Home Assistant to send information to my signal group chat. While I have used Discord and telegram in the past, my friends were reluctant to use them so this seems to be the best approach for my use case. I figured someone else may be interested so I would pass it along.

** I am sure there are much more elegant ways to accomplish this, so I am more than open to feedback about how to make it work better!

There are a couple prerequisites which I imagine you have in place if you are reading this thread.

First, I set up the Signal Rest API add on and the integration using the instructions on the integration page here: Signal Messenger - Home Assistant

Once I had that set up and working, I created the signal groups an ensured I was able to send messages using the relevant Notification Service Calls in Home Assistant. Below is what mine looks like in my config

- name: signal_XXXXXXX_alerts
  platform: signal_messenger
  url: "http://127.0.0.1:8080" # the URL where the Signal Messenger REST API is listening
  number: "+XXXXXXXXXXX" # the sender number
  recipients: # one or more recipients
    - "group.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="

Then I had to go into Tautulli to setup 2 different MQTT notifications. The first includes the Title of the Recently added item and the second creates a notification utilizing the {poster_url}.

After I had these running, I checked that they were being received by the MQTT Broker and I was ready to setup the MQTT sensors in home assistant. Under the mqtt config I added the following 2 sensors

sensor:
  - name: RecentlyAddedPlex
    state_topic: tautulli/recentlyadded
    value_template: "{{ value_json.body }}"
    unique_id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  - name: RecentlyAddedPlexImagae
    state_topic: tautulli/recentlyadded/image
    value_template: "{{ value_json.body }}"
    unique_id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lastly, I setup an automation to send the notifications. The trigger is a message being published to the broker and the action is sending the data from each sensor in the Signal Notification

alias: Tautulli Recently Added Notification
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: tautulli/recentlyadded
condition: []
action:
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 15
      milliseconds: 0
  - service: notify.signal_XXXXXXX_alerts
    data:
      data:
        urls:
          - "{{ states('sensor.recentlyaddedplex_2') }}"
mode: single

I added the 15 second delay as I wanted to make sure that the sensors would both be updated from Tautulli before the message was sent…so far this has been working great! I would love if I was able to make it a bit cleaner, but this was as far as I could go with my own skills.

Hope this helps someone else looking to go down the same path. My next steps are to add server up/down notifications, another automatio/sensor which will send teh newsletter out to the group once per week and create a private group for myself which sends other information I would like to see.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this. I’ve been trying to do exactly the same thing.

I have it functioning with “RecentlyAddedPlex” sensor, but not the "
RecentlyAddedPlexImage" sensor.

Tautulli doesn’t send any data from my second MQTT notification with the {poster_url} text.

I’ve even tried including it with my the other MQTT notification e.g. “{title} ({year}) was recently added to Plex. {poster_url}” but all that is recieved in home assistant is "{title} ({year}) was recently added to Plex. " giving me the impression that tautulli isn’t sending the poster url.

Did you have a similar issue?

1 Like

Could you show me the tautulli side of the setup? I’ve tried setting up MQTT, but can’t seem to get it to work