Sensi sensors? Now that I've given up on yoyo Wink

Okay, Wink has let me down big time. I’m ripping it out and trying to go native.
Everything z-wave and zigbee has been moved but my Emerson Sensi thermostat, well, I am at a loss.
Is there a Sensi Thermostat add-on or sumpin’ out there?

There isn’t, but I have plans to try to make one. Unfortunately that probably won’t happen for at least a few weeks.

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation, invested in the Z-Wave ecosystem except for my thermostat being a Sensi. I hate the lack of local control, and using the Wink API to control the Sensi has been pretty unreliable. If you have a newer Sensi you can also use the homekit integration, I have both enabled at the same time. It works practically the same except homekit doesn’t expose fan control nor humidity measurements. The Wink entity is always in the wrong state, at this time it hasn’t updated for over two days.

I haven’t seen a good z-wave thermostat that I like, and they often have small quirks that make them not work well with HA (openzwave). On Discord these CT32 openbox devices for sale on Ebay for a low price, I was considering trying one of those.

1 Like

Just your attempt is already greatly appreciated! “A few weeks” is a time frame that I consider not only good news but also much quicker than hoped for.
I wish you well in your adventure.

1 Like

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to follow up here too. Much Appreciation to w1ll1am23 for developing for the community. Looking forward to testing if needed.

Side Question: My Sensi makes a faint buzzing sound. Sort of like a tiny wind-up toy. Is this normal? I have opened up a support ticket with Emerson/Sensi, but was curious what everyone’s experience was. I don’t think it made it initially, but could be wrong.

Found out in the other thread that Sensi has been added to Smartthings. You now can control Sensi in HA via Smartthings and don’t have to use Wink at all. (no Smartthings hub required)

1 Like

Thank You Scope666. I’ll try it out and post my results here.

1 Like

Tried tonight. When I go to Add a SmartApp in the SmartThings App theres a Network/Server Error. Ill try again soon…

EDIT: Well I guess reading the directions goes a long way… I added the SmartApp in the “SmartThings Classic” app and experienced zero issues. I have the thermostat in a card in Home Assistant. I’ll continue testing.

Just found this thread last night… I had been using Wink to integrate my Sensi, and it was so-so. I switched to Smartthings after reading this post, and it seems to be pretty decent.

Does the current_temperature attribute update for you guys? Mine seems to reflect where the slider is, and not the actual temperature reported by the thermostat.

ST is great for making changes, but the current reported temp seems to be infrequently updated. I’m hoping at some point they’ll increase the frequency.

Hi

I’m trying to add sensi thermostat to HA. Added sensi to smartthings app. I can see and control it from ST app. Then integrated with smarttings to HA using https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/smartthings/. All went well without issue. However I don’t see any new entities in HA. Anyone one help what else I am missing?

Thanks!

After searching, seems I had two locations. when I setup sensi in sensi app, I put the location of “upstair”. In the https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/smartthings/, it seems that during the setup, there is step involved choosing location. It did mention set up for each location, but I don’t know how?
Also for the UI, besides the standard “thermostat” card, is there any other nicer custom thermostat card?

Thanks.

I have successfully setup Sensi ST75 using HomeKit but it wasnt easy

###############################
##IF YOU RUN THIS ON A RASPBERRY PI WITHOUT DOCKER DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS##
I run HA in docker
I do not use host mode but i had to enable it in order to get this working
I had to edit the docker-compose file to put HA in HOST MODE (which is default so you may not have to do this) so it can see all the things to integrate with

DOCKER-COMPOSE.YML FILE
home-assistant:
image: homeassistant/home-assistant:stable
container_name: home-assistant
environment:
- TZ=America/New_York
volumes:
- /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
#ports:
#- 8123:8123
network_mode: host
restart: unless-stopped

Since i enable host mode, my Reverse Proxy didnt work so i had to use the local ip
#################################################

Access HA via yourlocalipaddress:8123

I had to reset the Sensi device to factory default
Using the Sensi app i went through the process of adding the Sensi to the WIFI
COPY DOWN THE PAIRING CODE USED DURING THE PROCESS
During the process i entered the credentials for the my WIFI and once the Sensi connected to the wifi i was able to see the Sensi on Home Assistant
AFTER EACH STEP MAKE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR HA TO LOOK FOR THE SENSI
ONCE YOU SEE IT IN HA STOP USING YOUR PHONE AND FINISH USING HA
(if you finish it on your phone it doesnt let you pair it with HA afterwards)

Once you finish the sensi setup on your HA you most likely will have to repeat it on your sensi app if you ALSO want control of the AC with your sensi app

Hope this helps someone… i just wasted like 3 hours figuring this out…most of it was realizing it wont even see these devices if its not in host mode

3 Likes

Thank you @Cytomax55, I have the Emerson Sensi up500w and tried your approach, but cannot get it to work.

When I reset the device by taking out the batteries it is still in my app, but not connected to WIFI (did you delete it from the app?). I clicked “Connect” on the thermostat, connected to the Sensi WIFI network on my phone, then went back to the app and it finished connecting.

During this process “Sensi” did not show up in the Devices list in my Home Assistant.

At what time during this process did it show up for you?

Do you have a different model than the up500w?

Thanks.

Thank you for the suggestion to add Sensi to HA via SmartThings. I installed SmartThings and in HA I can see 6 new entities for my Sensi thermostat. However, that’s all I see, just sensors, it doesn’t appear as a device of type thermostat. I can only read the values but not change them (I tried to add a thermostat card and my Sensi was not listed.)
Also I noticed that the manufacturer is not listed when I look at the details for it.
Please advise.

Access HA via yourlocalipaddress:8123

I had to reset the Sensi device to factory default
Using the Sensi app i went through the process of adding the Sensi to the WIFI
COPY DOWN THE PAIRING CODE USED DURING THE PROCESS
During the process i entered the credentials for the my WIFI and once the Sensi connected to the wifi i was able to see the Sensi on Home Assistant
AFTER EACH STEP MAKE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR HA TO LOOK FOR THE SENSI
ONCE YOU SEE IT IN HA STOP USING YOUR PHONE AND FINISH USING HA
(if you finish it on your phone it doesnt let you pair it with HA afterwards)

Once you finish the sensi setup on your HA you most likely will have to repeat it on your sensi app if you ALSO want control of the AC with your sensi app

This worked for me. After adding the Sensi to HA, I was able to finish adding the Sensi to my phone Sensi app.

Thanks!

1 Like