Sensor data availability from HA companion app

Hi,

I have a question about sensors from the companion app and how the sensors’ values are propagated in HA for being used in automations.

Specifically, I created an automation that would turn on the light next to my bed at the same time my alarm rings on my (Android) phone. So I

• Enabled that sensor on the phone (it grabs the correct time of the next alarm),
  • Added Android System and the alarm app I use to the allow list (not sure if actually necessary, but oh well…),
  • Set the sensor update frequency to fast while charging and connect my phone to a charger to make sure that sensors are updated every minute,
  • Gave the HA app background access to continuously run in the background,
  • Activated the next alarm sensor in the mobile app integration, and
  • Verified that the phone’s sensor changes show up in HA in the logbook (they do and they show the correct values, e.g. 2024-03-11T07:00:00+00:00)
  • Verified that both phone and HA instance are in the same timezone and have the correct time

Now, my automation looks like this:

alias: Morning light
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: sensor.my_phone_next_alarm
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    metadata: {}
    data:
      brightness: 120
      transition: 15
    target:
      device_id: 019abc309c83cf3152e60b37ab1ea554
mode: single

As already specified, when I set the alarm on my phone, the updated value shows up in HA instantaneously.

Now, when I set my alarm for “in two minutes” to test everything, the automation won’t work. My alarm goes off on the phone - but with the new next_alarm time having reached the logs of HA already, the automation isn’t triggered. I tried multiple times and eventually gave up somewhat frustrated.

I was VERY surprised the next morning when the light indeed turned on with my alarm - even though I didn’t change anything in the automation.

So my question is this:

1. Is there a certain delay between sensor data being available for automations? (Is this a bug?)
  2. How can I mitigate this?

check that your phone and server have the time synced up

I did. They have the same time.

but you said its workign now right?

Yes, it is working - just not when I set the alarm for a time close to the current time.

If the alarm is set for the next morning, it works flawlessly