Sensor woes - Can someone help? Nest (thermostat and protect) & Dark Sky

I’m a new user and I’ve got a few things setup and working, but I’m also struggling a bit with setting up some sensors. I’m still very much working on the basics.

At home I have a Nest Thermostat and a Nest Protect. I’ve got the Nest setup and I get the climate working and when I setup the nest sensor with all the options, all I get showing in HA is humidity and the thermostat as a climate control. The climate is great, but I was hoping to monitor the protect too. The thermostat is in the ‘Hallway’ and the protect is ‘upstairs’. Neither have a label attached.

I tried adding a structure to the nest (listing Hallway & Protect which didn’t work and Hallway & Upstairs again didn’t work), but that stopped all nest things working. I’m at a loss now.

Also I’ve tried adding a Dark Sky sensor. I signed up for an API key and copied the code from the component page, but no matter what I do with it causes all of my sensors to stop working. Removing the Dark sky sensor and the others go back to working again!

Here’s my code from the yaml file.

nest:
 username: REMOVED
 password: REMOVED

climate:
  platform: nest

sensor:
  - platform: time_date
    display_options:
      - 'time_date'

- platform: nest
    monitored_conditions:
      - 'temperature'
      - 'target'
      - 'humidity'
      - 'operation_mode'
      - 'last_connection'
      - 'co_status'
      - 'smoke_status'

- platform: darksky
    api_key: REMOVED
    monitored_conditions:
      - summary

Any ideas?

I had the same problem - my solution was to replace it with the climate attributes - not sure if the “monitored_conditions” function is now dead or config changed? My example below:

sensor humidity_1:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      downstairs_humidity:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.downstairs.attributes.humidity }}'
sensor temp_1:
    sensors:
      downstairs_temperature:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.downstairs.attributes.current_temperature }}'
sensor mode_1:
    sensors:
      downstairs_mode:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.downstairs.attributes.operation_mode }}'
sensor nestaway:
    sensors:
      climate_away:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.downstairs.attributes.away_mode }}'
        friendly_name: 'Occupied'
        unit_of_measurement: 'Nest'

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give some of that a go. It will be nice to be able to monitor some of the conditions of the thermostat in the way you’re suggesting.

I spent another hour fiddling after I posted this and still can’t get any info from the Protect and I’m keen to integrate that too. I’ll have a better look at the example configs and see if I can find anyone who’s using a nest protect.

I think you’re right about the config having changed.

@olines I just did a bit of digging and found that you can see all of the sensors on github and look at the code… here’s the nest sensor script:

github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/dev/homeassistant/components/sensor/nest.py

I’m not sure if you code or not, but there’s stuff in there that gives me ideas for changing the config. I’ll give it a try tomorrow (I’m out tonight) and see if I can get it working.

I also found out why my Dark Sky sensor isn’t working. According to a pull request about forcast.io Dark Sky support only arrived in version 0.30 and I’m running 0.29.X so I’ll need to update,

In case it’s of any use to anyone else. I updated to version 0.30.2 this evening and now Dark Sky and Nest both work as expected. I didn’t have to change anything in my configuration file. It remains as it was above.