Separate secret storage for configuration version control

I’ve been using HomeAssistant for a long time, and I enjoy being able to publish my config to github as an example for others: https://github.com/trainman419/homeassistant_config

It’s also nice to be able to version control my configuration, so that I can fix things if I make a mistake.

Back before there was a configuration UI, I was able to keep the passwords, API tokens, etc for my integrations in a separate file, like this: Storing secrets - Home Assistant

I’m loving the new configuration UI, but I’m finding that the files that it produces aren’t well documented ( not mentioned at all in the configuration docs), and many of the integrations are storing their secrets along with the rest of their configuration or in the core configuration file, so there’s no easy way to check in the configuration for those files to github and publish them as a reference.

I’ve seen this discussed on the forum a few years back ( Backup of .storage with git - #6 by nono31342 ), but I don’t see resolution there that helps my use case.

I was going to ask this as a Configuration question, but I guess it’s really a feature request - is it possible to add explicit support for storing integration secrets in a separate file, so that file can be ignored when checking my configuration into git or another version control, and so that file can be backed up separately?

It looks like there’s some discussion of this here: Managing secrets , but it doesn’t look like there’s anyone working on implementing those suggestions yet.