Serial over IP (Global Cache GC100)

New to Home Assistant after a few years of fighting Veras.

Using Hassio and want to integrate the Monoprice 6 Zone house amp.

Need serial connection to Monoprice device, but the Home Assistant’s PI is located far away. Want to use iTach GC100 (or other serial over IP device).

The existing GC100 add on’s (three of them) do not appear to support simple Serial over IP.

The Monoprice addon wants a “port” parameter; is there a magic entry that would accomplish that?

Thank you very much for all the amazing work being done here !!!

Yeah the GC components only support IR or digital I/O (relays and digital input) control.

However, you shouldn’t need to use that component. A pair of the GC IP2SLs can be used as a transparent serial-Ethernet-serial bridge between a USB to serial adaptor (FTDI chipset seems to work) plugged in to the Pi and the amp at the other end. At least in theory. I have not tried it.

Try the default:

port: /dev/ttyUSB0

Thanks for the reply.

Concerned a pair of the GC IP2SL would not work, how would they know to communicate with each other ?

Trying to avoid the “dumb” direct wired USB over cat5/6 types; would much rather use existing switched IP network.

Actually I’m miss-remembering how these are used. You can’t use them as a back-to-back bridge.

This is probably going to be your best option.

Tom,

Yes, or maybe just a powered USB extender cables, going just about 50 feet.

Thank you for the link to the FTDI info, been using Prolific for other projects. Do you know if I will need a USB <> RS-232 driver for hassio/pi ?

Just out of interest I plugged my Aten UC232A USB to serial adaptor into my pi. Went to the hassio / system page and clicked on the host system / hardware button. There was a /dev/ttyUSB0 device present that disappeared when I removed the device.

I think that HassOS must have pretty good built in USB serial adapter support.

EDIT: 50ft of active USB cable is huge. Last I heard the maximum was about 16ft. You’re going to need 3 to 4 of them.

Is the Aten using the FTDI chip? Found one on Amazon by StarTech, which states the use the FTDI. About to get a couple and try them out.

There are a few 50/60 foot USB cables with built in extenders. Will probably go with USB extenders over cat6.

Thank you for trying out the Aten in your setup, I’m encouraged.

No. It uses a Prolific PL2303 chipset. Rarer than FTDI so you should be good.

I just looked up the device we used for a serial IP bridge at work, it wasn’t Global Cache (they were used elsewhere) it was these brainbox devices:

http://www.brainboxes.com/product/es-246/1-port-rs232-ethernet-to-serial-adapter

I didn’t have anything to do with the project but they work well apparently.

Found a USB-Serial adapter in my old inventory, with a clone Prolific chip, does show up in PI 3+.

Presumably, the Global Cache and BrainBoxes adapters need a driver setup in hassio (since the Monoprice addon requires a port configuration), that is my concern with both of them.

Anyway, the Monoprice box is on the way; will let you know how it works.

Thank you again for your follow-up!

No.

Two of the brainbox devices will appear to be physical serial cable in tunnelling mode. The Global Cache device wont work in this situation as they can not be bridged / act as a tunnel.

The port you specify ( /dev/ttyUSB0) in the monoprice config is for the mounting point of the USB to serial adaptor you connect from the pi to the brainbox serial tunnel device.

Interesting, a bit odd that Global Cache have not provided this functionality.

It does become an expensive option, 2 x about $105.- to hook up a $600 device.

Will keep this option in mind, thank you.

Update:

Got the Monoprice 10761 (6 x stereo amps with RS-232 control. Solid, complete and all working good.

PI 3+ interface: I ended up using a USB<>RS323 adapter (Prolific clone). Co-located the PI with the entertainment system for testing, worked on first try.

Installed the Hass.io Spotify player and the Spotify addon, connected the PI’s audio to receiver input, all works on first try,. HA is great stuff !

Been looking for info on access to the Monoprice addon’s bass, treble and balance control features. I am new to HA, haven’t been able to find it HA?

I am really liking HA /Lovelace on top of AV gear.

Tom, thank your for sharing.

1 Like

Same here. Would really like to have the bass, treble, and balance control features of the Monoprice 10761 but in months of research have not been able to find anything yet.

Switched over from a Control4 system that had been on the fritz for a while and was tired of the proprietary, locked down, overpriced hassle that it had become. If Home Assistant does nothing else for me it has already saved me tons of money.

You might find this post useful:

This is an old conversation, but the stated need regarding the Monoprice whole house audio unit still remains. I think you would need to provide an upvote on this thread:

If enough people upvote, maybe we’ll get this someday!

Just wanted to link to the original request which now has a custom integration that allows some control via presets to adjust audio settings. It also allows for custom bass and treble to be set.

Thanks to @thebradleysanders for the hard work getting it done.

Hopefully it can replace the original integration.

1 Like