Server got itself in trouble with creating account

Hi,

I’m new to home assistant.
I installed it on my raspberry pi3b but i’m already stuck on creating a user.

Nothing happens when i click create account.
In F12 console it says error 500 Internal Server Error\n\nServer got itself in trouble.

I tried this on my PC with firefox and internet explorer, on my phone, on my laptop with edge, i keep getting the same error.
Already tried http:// , IP adress instead of http://homeassistant.local:8123/onboarding and reinstalling
The 20min preparing before it also took way longer.

What am i doing wrong ? or what could be the issue ?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. I tried power cycling it and then it takes me to login but when i check the users there are no users created…

I just got past it… For what ever reason i created an account with the name: admin user: admin password:adminadmin and it let me create the account… Once i got in i changed the credentials.

great ! this actually worked for me to, thx !

Just a guess: something with a character in the user/pw that is not allowed?

probably, when i changed my login in settings it said i couldnt use a capital letter in my login
It didn’t say that when i tried to create an account after a fresh install, nothig happens when i clicked create account, no error
Capital letters and symbols do work in pw, just not login i guess

I have been very close to repeatedly banging my head on every wall in sight trying to figure this out off and on the past week. Changing everything to “admin” 100% worked. If it is an issue with capital letters or special characters not allowed in the username, that definitely needs to be laid out on the on-boarding screen.

Thank you very much for sharing, it solves the same problem for me too after trying over and over again.

I just had this same problem, and found the solution to be removing the uppercase from my username. I was setting my username as ‘Stephen’, and it didn’t like it. ‘stephen’ however worked absolutely fine.

At first the behaviour was it failed to sign up, then on my next visit to try again it wouldn’t take me to onboarding but instead to login. After getting to the CLI directly, I ran ha su auth and could see there were no users created. Which is stange behaviour - no users but I couldn’t onboard.

I’m a software engineer so may have a poke around and see if, even if I can’t fix it, perhaps I can easily add some validation to the username field to save people the trouble.

1 Like