Service Button Widget Icon Changes When Togled

Long time lurker, first time poster and general newbie to Home Assistant.

I have an August Smart Lock on my front door. I used the HA Companion for Android to make a widget on my phone that locks/unlocks the front door when pressed. My implementation works great and does what I want. Where my problem is, I would like my chosen icon for the widget to change based on the state of my lock (i.e. show an open lock icon when unlocked and a closed lock icon when locked)

A bit more info on how I created this in case it matters.

I made an input boolean and used it as the trigger for 2 automations, one to lock and another to unlock based on the state of my input boolean. On my phone I created a service button widget that calls the input_boolean.toggle service and used the entity input_boolean.front_door_key

alias: Boolean Lock
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.front_door_key
    to: 'on'
condition: [ ]
action:
  - device_id: ********************
    domain: lock
    entity_id: lock.front_door
    type: lock
mode: single
alias: Boolean Unlock
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.front_door_key
    to: 'off'
condition: [ ]
action:
  - device_id: ********************
    domain: lock
    entity_id: lock.front_door
    type: unlock
mode: single

I don’t even know if this functionality exists in Companion, but I’d like to know either way
Thanks

1 Like

the service widget does not read the state of entities it just performs the action…there is an entity state widget and template widget to display the state…its hard to do a state widget button because the state will not stay in sync

Thank you, that all makes sense. Now I won’t spend a few days trying to make something work that just can’t happen.