Service name silently changed

I have a lot of iPhone notifications set up. All of them recently silently stopped working. When investigating, I’ve noticed that the actual service name has changed from notify.mobile_app_iphone_MYNAME to just notify.mobile_app_iphone.

I haven’t changed this, nor the name of the phone, nor have I reinstalled the HA app. Currently on 2022.7.3 but I retroactively think this happened sometime last month.

The built-in HA notifications being as useless as they are and not telling me of this issue (or ANY issue other than the completely bogus “login failed”), I only noticed this by complete chance, which is obviously an issue.

Any thoughts?

I’m guessing you installed the iOS 16 beta. This has a new “security” feature – the name of the device is obscured to the app and it’s told the name is now “iPhone.” You can manually name the device by editing the server setting in the app’s settings and it will use that name.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m on the 16 beta. The automations started to work again after renaming the device in the HA app settings/Server as you said.

Thanks for this valuable info!

Betas can have all different kind of side effects.
You should clearly say that you are using Beta-software on your phone when you run into problems with other software / systems.

1 Like

Yes, agreed, it was my mistake.

Just FYI: Same with iOS 16.0 release - just ran into the same problem…

I’ve noticed this happening on my partner’s phone in the last few days but she doesn’t have the beta installed.

I do have the iOS beta 16.1 installed but it doesn’t happen on mine.

But on my partner’s phone, I can change the name in the server on her companion app to e.g. ‘iPhone xxx’ and it will be fine for a few minutes but then a duplicate server automatically adds itself with just ‘iPhone’ as the name and overrides the previous one.

Interestingly, all the entities amend their name to the rogue server name e.g. ‘sensor.iphone_activity’ but the device tracker remains ‘device_tracker.iphone_xxx’.
It’s doing my head in as I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app so many times on her phone changed entity names but it still reverts to the ‘rogue’ server.

It’s difficult when trying to use for example battery charging sensors in automations when they rename themselves in the background.

Anyone have any suggestions I would be grateful.