Service tts.google_translate_say is translating spaces to %20

Same problem here

1 Like

Absolutely!
But a couple of small bugs crept in and one in particular was really hurting me :wink:
All fixed in 113.2 so yeah, Mutt, I am indeed a pusher advocate for 113.2 :joy:

1 Like

Ah, I was wondering what happened! I’m having the same issue!

Interestingly if you remove the spaces in the service call TTS works correctly. I’m going to leave things as they are as hopefully a fix is not too far away

Hopefully yes. Hasn’t been any response from the dev team yet though

same issue since update, quotes dont help

Same issue. It also happens to me with the accents. In previous version worked fine.

Wife 2.0 is about to kill me because google. I will have to disable it until fixed.

Thanks for the tip that hyphens can be used between words in lieu of spaces, and Google TTS by default doesn’t pronounce them. I was able to modify the script all my TTS calls make to work around this issue for now. Using regex_replace, I just modify the “say” data parameter contents that my audio_announce script takes as its input

audio_announce:
  alias: House Announcement - Speak Message
  sequence:
  - data_template:
      cache: false
      entity_id: media_player.ha_announcements
      language: en-uk
      message: '{{ say |regex_replace(find='' '',replace=''-'') }}'
    service: tts.google_translate_say
  mode: single
2 Likes

Hi everybody! It is not just spaces which are spelled wrong! I have the same issue with (german) umlauts (?) â€œĂ€, ö ĂŒâ€ :frowning: My wife is killing me :smiley:

1 Like

I have the same issues:

1. tts is saying %20
  2. Wife is about to kill me
    If there is a fix for either, please send it here ASAP
 Don’t want to give up the wife or Google Home.
1 Like

See above at Chad’s answer. For the temporary fix, you can replace the spaces with a hyphen. So “This message is for you” would become “This-message-is-for-you”. Google will still separate the words and not say %20.

1 Like

Was this indeed introduced with version 0.113.2? Or something changed at Google? If related to version then I will rollback to 0.113.1. This is an unexpected breaking change that is pretty annoying.

Is related to 0.113.2! Funny thing is: if tts is called from an automation, everything is fine. If it is called from a script or in the media.player, its broken.
So a rollback to 0.113.1 should do the trick. But I depend on the fixes of 113.2 :-/

1 Like

Fix inbound by Frenck.

3 Likes

For now, take all the spaces out of the message. She talks faster. But you understand her.

Just upgrade to 113.3, it’s fixed there.

113.3 seems to have fixed the problem for my tablet using browser mod/fully kiosk but my Nest/Google Hub still says “%20” instead of spaces

Clean your TTS cache ( remove files from /config/tts)

That was the first thing I tried as some automations did it and some didn’t. Some automations it really confused google without any spaces.