Set Group ID associations using Z-Wave JS?

Hi!

I’m trying to switch over my Z-Wave devices from a Vera Edge to be directly controlled by a NUC running Home Assistant and an Aeon Z-Wave USB-stick. I have included the devices to HASS using the Z-Wave JS integration (as recommended) but can’t find a way of setting group associations for devices?

I have a SRT321 Thermostat I need to make a direct association with a SSR303 Receiver (APNT-20 - Configuring the Secure Thermostat and Receiver — Vesternet) and can’t seem to find any way in the configuration settings to do this?

1 Like

You have to use zwavejs2mqtt. The integration does not provide this capability yet.

1 Like

Yes, as pointed out above you need zwavejs2mqtt. Zwavejs2mqtt, which is what I use and is the community addon, includes a control panel which will allow you to set direct zwave associations between devices. Instructions and screenshot for setting them in zwavejs2mqtt are below:

https://zwave-js.github.io/zwavejs2mqtt/#/screenshots?id=groups-associations

I know all the documentation directs you to the “official” zwavejs addon, but it still does not have all the advanced features enabled that are accessible with the zwavejs2mqtt control panel, including setting associations. I know it can be a bit confusing but this writeup helps explain the install differences with zwave on Home Assistant, including zwavejs vs zwavejs2mqtt

There might be some “workaround” way to set the association using the included API in zwavejs without the need to switch to zwvavejs2mqtt, but in the end it would probably be easier to just switch to zwavejs2mqtt and use its included control panel for this. Zwavejs2mqtt can still use the same zwavejs integration in the integration screen on the Home Assistant side and you can disable the mqtt if you don’t want to use it that way.

Also below are instructions for installing the zwavejs2mqtt community addon:

Yes, if you have the skills you can use the same Python API the integration uses, or even use the server’s websocket API directly, to add or remove node associations. Not the easiest solution for most people.

2 Likes

OK, sounds like I need to use the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on. Can I run this AND the Z-Wave JS integration simultaneous? Using the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on for advanced configuration of the nodes but the Z-Wave JS integration to rename the paired devices and such?

No, you can only run one at a time. Both addons provide identical functionality as far as HA is concerned (it doesn’t know the difference). zwavejs2mqtt gives you its own web UI with additional functionality (and optionally MQTT, which you don’t need to enable).

OK, I see! I was a bit confused because HASS automatically wanted to add an integration called “Z-Wave JS” but it seems this can also be used for devices controlled by the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on, not only the recommended Z-Wave JS… Does this mean I can use the options under the integration to add nodes OR the web UI?

Yes if you install zwavejs2mqtt, and use the zwavejs integration instead of mqtt, you can use either the zwavejs integration’s UI (See screenshot - its under configuration, integrations) OR the zwavejs2mqtt control panel on port 8091 to control the zwave network- although I just tend to use the control panel in zwavejs2mqtt. Note NOT to confuse the “zwavejs integration” with the “zwavejs addon” - they are two different things.

Screenshot from 2021-09-22 11-15-09