Set the approximate consumption of lamps in watts

It would be great if home assistant would show the approximate current consumption

And how is it to measure that?

I am working on a custom component which can estimate power consumption of lights using lookup tables. Some others and me are actively measuring some light models (particularly hue lights) and taking 40.000 data points per light. When there are no lookup tables available for your light you can define the min and max watt and it will estimate by looking at the brightness. Maybe this will fit your need.
Will publish to HACS default repository soon.

3 Likes

I’ve built my own template sensors for some lights. I measured standby and max power consumption per light, then measured power consumption at different brightness levels and came up with a simple formula. I use the same formular for all lights and just change standby and max power as well as the brightness entitye. Of course this just gives a rough approximation of actual power consumption.

Here an example for a Philips Hue White and Color Ambience (LCT007):

sensor:
  - platform: template
      floor_lamp_1_power:
        friendly_name: "Floor Lamp 1 Power"
        unit_of_measurement: 'W'
        icon_template: "mdi:gauge"
        value_template: >-  
          {% set config = {
               "standby_power": 0.4,
               "max_power": 9.0,
               "brightness": state_attr("light.floor_lamp_1", 'brightness') | float / 255,
          } %}
          {{ [ ( ((config.brightness**3) * 1.33 - config.brightness**2 + config.brightness*0.67) * config.max_power) | round(1), config.standby_power] | max }}

1 Like