Set up device tracking with virgin media hub - how do I know it's working?

I have a virgin media superhub here in the UK. I did some googling and found that a component from Switzerland seemed to work with the VM hub in ireland, so took a punt and thought it’d work for me.

I’ve added the following under config: in my configuration.yaml file.

device_tracker:

• platform: upc_connect
    password: SECRET
    host: 192.168.0.1
    interval_seconds: 12
    consider_home: 180
    track_new_devices: yes

I have also created a new file called “known_devices.yaml” and added the following for my iphone:

kinteshs_iphone:
name: Kintesh
mac: SE:CR:ET:XX:XX
track: yes
hide_if_away: no

However, my device currently shows as away.

I have two questions.

1. How do I know my virgin media device tracking is working?
  2. Do I even need to do any of this? Should I just install the home assistant app instead? If so, how does location tracking work from that and do I need ‘known_devices.yaml’ if I do it this way?

Recommend to go for the iphone app. Iphones disconnect from the router when in sleep mode so the router based presence detection is not recommended for iphone

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does this mean I should delete my known_devices.yaml file and remove the router device_tracker?

Once that’s done I presume I just add “ios:” as a line in my configuration.yaml file?

I would :slight_smile: Not sure if there is any benefit of having the router tracker as well as the app tracker

Final question I guess - I just installed the iphone app, but I’m not quite sure how to get homeassistant to know if I’m home/not home. Does this happen automatically?

You need to setup the home zone in config.yaml, and enable location tracking in the app, that’s it I think

Ah yes, I need to add:

track_ios: true

under ios: in my configuration.yaml and it worked! Thank you! Hope this thread helps someone else too!

Kinda looks like I need to send one shot updates to the server, but we’ll see. Hopefully the app just recognises when I’m at home.

1 Like