Setting HomeSeer WX300 Status Mode & LED status colors Automatically with Home Assistant

UPDATE: Issue Resolved. See post below

I’m attempting to make a demo video on setting LEDs on our switch with HA but am running into issues. Does anyone have experience in doing this? If so, post a reply and I’ll detail the issues.

In a nutshell, we control the status mode and normal mode of the switch (in HomeSeer software) this way:
If any of the status LEDs are lit, we change the LED mode of the switch to STATUS mode. If none of the status LEDs are lit, then we change the LED mode to normal (load tracking) mode.

So… wondering if anyone is doing this in HA and, if so, what the method is? TIA - Mark

Is your trouble reading the current value of the config parameters, or setting the values?

The former is not supported officially and requires some not so reliable template sensors.

The latter is done with the zwave_js.set_config_parameter service, or if you need to set the individual LEDs (partial parameters) with the zwave_js.bulk_set_partial_config_parameters service.

I’m able do part of what I want with the built in actions

What I’m wondering is whether or not someone has already figured out how to change the switch from STATUS mode to NORMAL mode when all of the LEDs are set to OFF.

There are no entities for config parameters (maybe that will change someday), so you can’t read the current mode without using some pretty advanced functionality.

You would need to create your own template sensor to handle this. An example is provided here. The trigger would match on the configuration parameter value ID, these value IDs are visible in the device diagnostics file which can be downloaded from the device page.

@freshcoast Thanks for the suggestion. I think I figured out a way to do this that’s not too complicated. If I create an “LED Counter”, I can increment it every time an automation sets a status to an LED. Then, I can decrement it every time an automation sets a status LED off. That way, the counter should return to “0” when all LEDs are off. So, I can just add 2 more automations: 1 to enable status mode when the counter is greater than “0” and 1 to disable status mode when the counter is “0”. I’ll test this tomorrow but it seems like it should work.

It might work the same way as I have Zooz switches but to set those parameters I used Node Red following these instructions:

@hecarethwosu Thanks for sharing that. I have an instance of Node Red running at home but it’s only doing Alexa TTS announcements for my HomeSeer system. I have not added it to my HA setup, at least not yet. Today, I did a write up for how to set up status LEDs on the WX300 just within the HA automation engine. I’ve posted that here: HS-WX300 Triggers and Actions in Home Assistant | This is what it looks like in action:

1 Like

@HomeSeerMark Hi Mark, trying to find your write up but the link leads to a 404 page. I’m moving over to HA from HomeSeer and trying to get the status lights working the way they used to. Do you happen to still have that write up on how you solved it?

Looking for the same page or examples. I just started playing with the HS-WX300 in HA myself.

I’ve updated the link here: HS-WX300 Triggers and Actions in Home Assistant

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for updating with your method. The original description got me started and what I came up with was a simple automation for each LED to make them follow state changes as needed. This example lights a status LED by the front door when the driveway motion sensor has detected motion / turns it off when the motion sensor resets. I use the LEDs at the bottom to show light switch status then the uppers are open and used for general notifications. I like these switches a lot so far!

alias: Porch_StatusLED07
description: "sets LED status on HomeSeer WX300 to follow a sensor "
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.driveway_floodlight_motion_detection
    to: null
condition: []
action:
  - if:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.driveway_floodlight_motion_detection