Setting up a Broadlink SP4M-US WiFi Smart Plug

Update: 11 Dec 2021: READ THIS WHOLE THREAD BEFORE BUYING THESE THINGS!! They no longer work as described in these first posts.

These devices are relatively inexpensive on Amazon. They work pretty well for WiFi devices, and there’s a supported HA integration. Note that Amazon prices and suppliers change. Sometimes you can pick up a 3-pack or 5-pack to get the unit cost down. These instructions are for the “No App” version, but it seems like there are lots of different models so buyer beware.

Like most such devices, these “want” to connect to the vendor’s cloud. I found I needed the BroadLink app to “unlock” the device so that HA can see it. There’s an unlock step in the HA integration, but I couldn’t get HA to see the device until I used the app to unlock it. After it’s working in HA, you can use your router’s firewall or Parental Controls option to block it from connecting to the BroadLink cloud.

These devices advertise a “No App” operation mode. This means that instead of using only the BroadLink app, you can use a cloud-to-cloud (C2C) option like Alexa, Siri, etc. It also means we can use the HA integration, so everything is local, no cloud. These instructions are based on using the “No App” mode.

These instructions were developed using an Android phone and a Windows laptop. Presumably the steps would be similar with other operating systems.

This document was created using the version of the SP4M-US device available on Amazon as of December, 2020, along with the current versions of the BroadLink app, HA and Android as of that date.

Is a BroadLink SP4M-US Smart Plug right for me?

Pros:

• Cost
  • Availability
  • Ease of configuration
  • Supported HA integration using local control
  • Can be manually controlled (power button on the device)
  • Uses WiFi, no additional networks required

Cons:

• Requires vendor cloud for setup
  • Requires good WiFi connectivity at the location of use
  • Does not offer power monitoring or dimmer functions. Just on/off.
  • Device is limited to a 10 Amp load. Things like electric heaters and air conditioners will not work safely
  • The form factor may block other outlets on a power strip.

Installation Instructions

1) Install the BroadLink app

Oddly enough, the app is called the “BroadLink Universal TV Remote” in the Google Play app store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.com.broadlink.econtrol.international
On the Apple app store it’s called “BroadLink Super App.”
‎BroadLink on the App Store

When you first open the app, you will be prompted to create an account (no charge) using an e-mail address.
This can be a throw-away address, especially if you don’t want BroadLink knowing your “real” address for future spam.

2) Plug in the SP4M-US device

• Wait for 4-flash pattern

Note: to reset an existing device, press and hold the power for 5 seconds, but less than 10 seconds.
A 10-second press starts a different configuration mode (fast flash). We want the “No App” mode.

3) Obtain the BroadLink device’s MAC address
(This is how I did it. There are other ways to obtain the MAC address of the device.)
(Too bad BroadLink doesn’t print the MAC address on the device like some other vendors do.)

• On a Windows laptop, connect to the WiFi access point named “Broadlink_WiFi_Device.”
  • If any “log on” pages pop up, close them. We’re not ready for that yet.
  • Launch a command window (type “CMD” in the Start menu and hit enter)
  • Type IPConfig and hit enter to get the Default Gateway we’re using (the BroadLink device)
     Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.100
     Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
  • Type ping with the BroadLink device’s address (Default Gateway) and hit enter.

ping 192.168.10.1

• Type arp -a and hit enter to display MAC (Physical) address of BroadLink device:
     arp -a
       Interface: 192.168.10.100 --- 0x15
         Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
         192.168.10.1          24-df-xx-xx-xx-xx     dynamic
  • Make a note of the MAC address (mine all started with 24-df-, but there could be others.)
  • Unplug the BroadLink device
  • You can now re-connect your laptop to your normal WiFi network.

4) Set up a DHCP reservation for the device on you router.

Although this step is sort of optional, it is highly recommended to always assign a consistent IP address for your IoT devices.

• On your router, add a DHCP reservation for the MAC address (24-df-whatever) which you made a note of, above.
  • In this example, I’m using 192.168.1.230

5) Start the initial setup process using the BroadLink app.

• Plug in the BroadLink device
  • On a cell phone, disable Mobile Data
  • Connect to the “Broadlink_WiFi_Device” Network
  • You will be prompted to “sign in”.
    For example, on Android, tap the message “Tap here to sign in to network”

Enter the required data into the Sign in screen:

• Select your Wi-Fi network name (SSID)
  • Type in your network password
  • Type in the email address you registered to the app with
  • Type in a Device Name. Spaces are allowed but not special characters.
  • Tap “Next”
  • Select “I have read the above information”
  • Tap “Connect now”
  • Tap “OK”

Device will restart and connect to the local router.
You can re-connect your phone to your regular WiFi and enable mobile data.
You should get an email at the address you entered above.
LED will no longer flash.

6) Unlock the device

On the cell phone:

• Re-connect phone to home WiFi if not already
  • Open the BroadLink app
  • Ignore the prompt to create a scene
    Note: The app may “discover” other devices in your network, like TVs and Remotes.
    If so, dismiss the prompt to set up new devices. (Tap “Not now.”)
  • Tap on the device name you entered, above
  • Tap on the “…” in upper right to open the menu.
  • Select “Property”
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page.
  • Tap on the switch button to disable “Lock device”
  • Tap on “OK” to confirm unlock.

7) Verify good network communication

• On your WiFi network, ping the address you assigned in step 5, above.
    (in my exmaple, 192.168.1.230)
  • Verify good response to ping.

8) Add the device to HA

• Log on to your Home Assistant site
  • Select “Configuration” then “Integrations.”
  • Click “Add Integration” in the lower right.
  • Select “BroadLink” integration.
  • Type in the IP address of the BroadLink device
  • Click “Submit.”
  • If you get a prompt to unlock the device, select “Yes, do it” and click “Submit.”
  • Enter a name for this device in HA
  • Expect a message indicating Success.
  • You may add the device to an area in HA at this point.
    When you return to the “Integrations” page, you should see the BroadLink integration and your device listed.

Note: When adding a second device, you start over at “Add Integration.” Devices can’t be added here.
Additional devices will all be listed on one BroadLink integrations section once added.

9) Verify the device works from HA

• From within the Broadlink integration in HA, click the device, then click “1 entity.”
  • OR Select Configuration / Entities and search for your device.
  • Click your entity name. From here you can change the icon or area in HA.
  • Click the menu icon on the upper right.
  • From here you can toggle the device on and off to verify operation.

10) Block the device from accessing the BroadLink cloud (Optional)

Once set up, the device can be monitored and controlled locally by HA.
Assuming you’ve set up HA to be accessible remotely, you can monitor and control it from anywhere.

Many HA users strive for a “local control” model.
If you’re interested in doing this, or concerned about privacy, you can block the device from accessing the internet once it’s been set up.

Use your router’s Parental Controls or Firewall rules to block this MAC address from accessing the WAN.

Note that if you allow access, you can also use the BroadLink app to control your device away from home as well as a C2C solution like Alexa, Siri, etc.
Setting up those options is beyond the scope of this document, but explained in the documentation which came with the device and at the BroadLink web site.

Tom,

Great writeup! I had a slightly different experience setting up 4 x SP4M-US plugs. Sharing so others might find it helpful.

After the process in part 7 during my install, when I registered a second plug, it quickly disappeared from the network! It was visible in the app and worked, but had no IP was and not pingable! I could not add it to HA.

Turns out Broadlink has something called “FastCon” where broadlink devices will talk through each other to “reduce the load” on networking equipment.

The process I followed to get the switches working looked like this:

1. Put the device into NoApp setup mode
  2. Connect to “Broadlink_WiFi_Device” using your phone
  3. Complete the form (phone browser) and wait for the registration email to register on your broadlink account
  4. Open app and unlock in settings
  5. Change the state (on/off) a few times to ensure its still communicating
  6. reset the device back into NoApp mode
  7. Delete the device from the broadlink app
  8. Connect back to the "Broadlink_WiFi_Device.”
  9. Open the Broadlink app and hit add device
  10. Complete the wifi info setup step, then the app will ask you to connect back to your wifi to complete setup. Mine failed within the app at this step, but that’s OK. You don’t want to finish the setup here…
  11. Add the device to HA using the IP you discovered/reserved earlier.
  12. VERY IMPORTANT: Unplug all SP4M-US devices before proceeding with adding another one
  13. Begin again at step 1 for each new device.

Good luck!

Edit 4/28/2021
You may consider blocking the device from the internet at the router or firewall before starting step 8. This should force the registration to fail so you can adopt it from HA. Timing may be important. I didn’t wait long once the light was solid and I saw it on the wifi.

Since I did this back in December, I have not had a single issue with an SP4M going offline or trying to use FastCon.

1 Like

Thanks, jfogel! This is exactly what I was hoping for. My write-up is from only my own experience setting up two of these very specific devices.

Anyone who has a different experience, or a slightly different model or version, should add what they learned here. I strongly suspect there are easier ways to do some of the steps I outlined. Eventually we’ll have a pool of knowledge about what works and what doesn’t with these devices. At the current prices, it’s hard to ignore these as a viable option.

No matter what I do the second SP4M-US connects to the FastCon system. There must have been some kind of firmware update between the time you connected yours and the time I purchased mine because no matter what order I do this in, and I’ve tried several, the second one hides in the firsts IP.

There must be some work around that would allow us to connect to other SP4M-US switches using just one IP address.

Anyone have a tip?

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve read every article on the web and there is nothing to help add broadlink WIFI light switches to HA. A lot if them refer to it as adding RF switches, but RF are radio frequency and Broadlink’s TC2 are WIFI switches.

Hello guys!

I got the solution!

1. Unplug all SP4M in the area

2. Connect your SP4M with the Broadlink app.

3. Reserve static IP in your router

4. Open app and unlock in settings

5. Block internet connection in your router for the IP you reserved above

6. Add to your HA with Broadlink integration

7. Repeat with the next one from step 0.

Works perfectly now with HA but devices won’t work with Broadlink app anymore.

2 Likes

The existing hack doesn’t work, so I have added a ticket in Github. Hopefully this gets resolved.

As a workaround, I created a separate Braodlink account for each plug. This causes each plug to connect directly to the router with a unique IP address, instead of creating a FastCon mesh network. The Broadlink integration can then be setup.

1 Like

Great idea @KTaylor, Thanks! Note that with GMail accounts, you can just add a period somewhere in the account name, and Broadlink will treat them as two different accounts, but they’ll all come to your GMail inbox. In other words, [email protected] is the same as [email protected], but Broadlink will let you set up both.

Funny this should come up now. I was just logging on to confirm that the solution @lyuchok posted worked for me.

I made the mistake of un-blocking the old Broadlink devices in the router instead of the new ones. I suspect they both updated themselves, because they started connecting to each other instead of my router when I was adding the new devices.

I tried again, this time being careful to unplug all the other Broadlink devices before starting the setup process, and not plugging them back in until the new device was blocked and unplugged.

This appears to have worked. I’ve now got four Broadlink smart plugs (SP4M-US) working locally.

I’ll probably never buy another. I don’t know what they’ll do in the next firmware release, and don’t want to risk having them all become useless.

I also notice that the app now automatically connects to the new device, then re-connects to your home WiFi network when done. The instructions in the OP suggest this needs to be done separately.

Update 11 Dec 2021: My broadlink devices decided to all create a mesh last night, and now only one of them is accessible to HA. I have “parental controls” blocking them from the internet. Obviously when I inadvertently un-blocked the old ones yesterday they updated to a new firmware version which will do this.

At this point it looks like @KTaylor’s solution is the only option short of throwing these in the trash.

That’s so clearly the obvious solution! Thank you.

Well, my Broadlink devices did it again. We had a brief internet outage last night, about 30 minutes. I don’t think we lost power during that time, but it’s possible, since I wasn’t home.

Since then, none of my Broadlink devices are visible in HA. Also, my accounts in the Broadlink app don’t work. The app says “Password incorrect.” I not home at the moment so I’m totally stuck.

I’m changing from “Don’t buy any more Broadlink devices” to “Throw away the ones I have.”

Edit: I confirmed that we had both a power and internet outage. HA never shut down because it’s on a UPS. All four of my Broadlink devices were in the setup state: blinking blue light indicating that they were available for configuration by the Broadlink app, and not connected to the WiFi network they’d been on for months before the outage.

I unplugged them all and set two of them up again, one at a time, opening the parental controls block in my router for each in turn. I found no way to delete them from the HA Broadlink integration, but when I re-connected them through the app I used the same name as before and they were recognized as the same device. I must say I’m not real pleased with the lack of options in the UI method of configuration!

The other two were not being used for anything critical so they are going in the trash. Some day I’ll see a good deal on a couple of new Zigbee devices to replace them.
I am so done with both Broadlink and the Broadlink HA integration!