Setting up Google Actions for Assistant

Thanks.

I just did this and she accepted the email but the project is not showing up in the Google Home app like it did mine. I force stopped it hoping it would refresh but it still isn’t there. Did you do anything else after you added her as an owner?

I went into the console on her account, and pressed test to bring up the simulator the way you did for yourself.

Got it working. Thanks. Just noticed the docs were updated to include these steps too.

1 Like

So here’s a weird one, I have been able to set this up and it works when I ask my phone’s assistant, but not when I ask the google home. Any ideas?

I finally got it working and I don’t dare to unlink the account anymore. Don’t know how long I must wait again before I can relink it again. That means, I cannot add new devices for the time being.

Anyway, i’m new with google assistant. I have been using Alexa with emulated Hue all the while. it seems GA works differently from alexa. can i get some advice?

1. I have few groups in HA with names such as “Living Room”, “Office” and “Kitchen”. Each groups contain light and fan entities for that particular room. With emulated Hue on Echo, if I say “Alexa, turn on Office”, it would turn on all the entities in that group I created in HA. But when I say “OK Google, turn on Office”, it would response “Sorry, I don’t know which office you want to turn on.” even though the group is listed in the list of devices in GA. Is this a bug or limitation of GA?
  2. I also have a group in HA that named “Lights”. It contains all lights in my living room. When I say, “OK Google, turn on lights”, it turns on every lights in my house. Same goes to “Fan”. It suppose to turn on only the living room fan but it turned on all fans in my house.

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I can refresh my devices without unlinking them.
I use the Google Home App on iOS

1. open the app
  2. click the “hamburger” (top left) -> Home Control
  3. click 3 dots (top right) -> Manage accounts
  4. [test] your name
  5. Check for new devices

and hey-presto, they refresh!
the rooms stay assigned and I just click done!

I am sure you guys would have seen this if it was there, maybe it is only iOS.
Will try on my android phone later.

1 Like

Do you have Google Home (the speaker) in your home? I don’t have one (yet) and I don’t see that option in my Google Home app in Android.

I also have the issue with groups. The other thing to note is I believe since it is exposing groups as a Scene you can only turn a scene on and you cannot turn them off.

I ended up changing so it exposed groups as a light but also overridded the domain when it came in with group to light. That seemed to make it work properly for me.

1 Like

Yes, I have a physical GH.
But it even works when I am outside the home and can’t reach my GH.

that’s exactly what i want to do, what’s the easiest way for me to try this kind of change on my end?

Nope, I only see an Unlink option in the Android version of the app. Must be iOS only then. Oh, Google!!

2 Likes

Pretty sure this must be because your entities/devices have the same name as rooms. Office is an out of the box room in Home Control. Same applies to your Lights group - I can certainly see how this can be confusing in a natural language context.

I suggest you expose the individual lights and not the groups. Then use the Rooms feature in Home Control to group them. Or rename the groups to something else.

1 Like

I did not put 8123 (have 443 forwarded to 8123)

minor thing. Is it possible (how?) to change the name of the linking? Especially take out the test

Mine is

[test] Claudio

yep, confirmed :frowning:

What?!! Google Home has better support in IOS than in Android? :disappointed:

Yes you are suppose to use the external url through which your home-assistant can be accessed.
It need to be an https and not an http url (Google restriction to enforce security).

Just to be clear, where it says [YOUR HOME ASSISTANT URL] in the doc, you should put the URL (https) of your home assistant.

I still find the devices naming in Google Home challenging. From someone who has been using Alexa for almost a year, it is not easy to change the name of devices in my home. For example, there are lights at the main entrance and I have used to call it “Entrance Lights”. There are also lights at the bedroom entrance and I am calling it “Bedroom Entrance Lights”.

When I say “Turn on Entrance Lights” to Alexa, it will turn on the main entrance lights. If say that to Google Home, it will turn on both the lights at main entrance AND the bedroom entrance.

Sure I can change the name of the lights at main entrance to “Main Entrance Lights” but everyone is already used to call it merely “Entrance Lights”. It is going to be a problem when someone turn on the main entrance lights at night when everyone is already sleeping in the bedroom.

Furthermore, devices are not able to be assigned to multiple groups (rooms). For example, if I added Light 1 to Living Room, I cannot add it to another Group call “Lights”.

I think this is not cause by this component but a limitation from Google Home. Just to share problem face by (going to be) ex-Alexa user.

before you change all naming, I advice to wait the new feature of goruping (not sure how they call it): basically you will say TURN OFF THE LIGH (when in the entrance) and will turn OFF only the light in entrance. When you say TURN OFF THE LIGHT (when in bedroom) will turn OFF only the light in bedroom.

Of course you will need on GA device in the room you want this function

2 Likes

U mean this is a planned new feature by Google?