Setting up Google Actions for Assistant

@plonka2000 you can ignore that alias message (and it’s fixed on my branch). Then the no mapping message is because the released version doesn’t have script support (in progress).

Was the reverse proxy your issue?

Is there a github PR or page with updates as to what is currently support and what will be?

@PhilK Thanks, that’s good to know!

Is there currently a known understanding of what support there is, as I see groups listed but I I can’t seem to interact with (switch group on/off) via Google Assistant also. I’d really like script and automation support in future.

I guess I’ll need to duplicate my groups to rooms in GA, and add a few aliases for now.

@mdleal no, the proxy wasnt the issue, its still working great.
If you’re interested you can find out how I did it with hass.io over here.

Ok, I did it. You can use the addon and the component at the same time but you have to create two projects in https://console.actions.google.com
You’ll use one for the component and one for the addon. :slight_smile:

can you tell me the steps (just basic instructions)?

Basically you have to follow the instructions on the two pages:

Just don’t try to use the same client id for both of them like I was trying to do.
On how to use dialogflow (previously known as api.ai) you could begin following the examples here:
1 Like

do I need to install gactions cli on my raspberry or in my windows?

Question for the developers:

1. What drove the choice for implicit over auth code grant type? Just curious, as I found the authorization code grant to be a better option for my own implementation.
  2. Have you noticed the Google Home app dropping your [test] app after about a month, and then having to rerun the gactions CLI publish again? I haven’t been able to find a way to get it to stick forever without publishing.
  3. Just an aside, but does this tie in new devices to using the REQUEST_SYNC API as well? If not, something to shoot for as it will stop you from having to repair and re-add all your devices every time you add a new one.
1 Like

Should scope look like this?

@i8beef

1. Combination of ease of setup and laziness. I didn’t want to implement a full OAuth 2 flow (creating, storing, managing tokens) and the implicit flow is essentially as secure as the current user/password auth.
  2. I’ve been using this for a little over a month and haven’t had a problem. I’m pretty sure the Smart Home actions are different from the standard ones.
  3. Not yet, probably be the next thing I work on. They launched that API a couple days before this got merged.
1 Like

That is how mine looks and I don’t have any issues so far.

@PhilK

1. Got ya, just curious if it gave you anything the auth code grant didn’t or anything like that. My understanding was the auth code grant would be more secure, so that’s what I implemented against.
  2. Mine is a smart home action implementation too, but I’ve seen it fall off of my Google Home list several times already. Just something to watch for. Running the gactions-cli publish again will bring it back, but I haven’t figured out what makes it drop off every month or so yet… if you do see this and figure out a fix, I’d be interested to see what you did.

sorry for the dummies questions, but wjere i find my project ID? and where do I run gactions update --action_package project.json --project project-xxxxxxxxx?

If you have already created the project, you can find the project ID under the settings option on console.actions.google.com. You need to run the gactions command from the same directory where you have saved the project.json file.

tks very much, just click twice on the gactions program that I downloaded?

I got this setup and it works great so far. Is it possible to grant other users the same access so they can use Google Assistant from their phone? My wife is able to control things from my Google Home, but it doesnt work from her phone since she has a different Google account.

Thanks for the awesome work. Just commented out emulated hue.

I was able to go to the manage resources page of the developer console, and add my wife as an owner. Once I did that (and accepted the invitation in her email), I was able to add her to [test] just like my own.

I probably violated the principle of least privilege by adding her as an owner, but I didn’t want to bother finding out what permissions she needed in order to be able to test.

Hi @PhilK

Are you already working on the REQUEST_SYNC part?

I was hoping to trigger a sync manually but that requires an agentUserId. I am planning to set this in my forked code. Have you thought about how you will generate the id - fixed or configurable by user?

Works for me on WiFi with split horizon DNS.