Setting up Google Actions for Assistant

yeah, and its still not working unfortunately :frowning:

I’m stuck at this step:
Open the Google Assistant app and go into Settings > Home Control

I opened Google Home app on my phone, can’t find it there.
Opened Google Assistant (i think that’s how it’s called) by long pressing the Home buttong, can’t find it there.

Any idea’s?

So dumb question I have this all setup thanks for all the hard work but how do I call a script I’ve setup ie. Bedtime. I currently use IFTTT to say Hey Google it’s bedtime and it kicks of the script via the HASS REST API. I see there is a script (group I guess?) it doesn’t see my individual script (should it?) and even if it did would I say Hey Google turn on the bedtime script? I get lights and light groups but none normal stuff like scripts, media players etc. how does that work. Thanks!

Yeah once you did step 5 you should see it by going into the Google Home app hitting the + button and see it there. Did you setup the “app” on the same account that your Google Home app is using? If not you’ll need to add that account in the permission of the account you created.

After one week struglling to set this up I´ve just found out that here in brazil our isp netvirtua it blocks the 443 and 80 ports from their datacenter, so it´s impossible as as I know to setup let´s encrypt, so it´s impossible to set an https, here they´re only unblocking the ports for companies that runs servers. Anybody here from brazil or that had the same problem ? anyone knows how to do it whithout the ports open?

Right now scripts, media players, groups, and many other entity types aren’t supported. There are some changes due in 0.57, including one that allows you to map any entity to one of the supported types.

2 Likes

Okay great thanks for that info. I’ll keep an eye out for 0.57 then. Thanks again!

That’s interesting information. Shouldn’t that be mentioned somewhere in the docs? Like on the GA component page?
Right now I really have no idea what I can do with this. I set it up (although the last step is not working, I don’t seem to get GA working on my phone!) but don’t know how/what to do now.

Is this possibly why I’m getting the error? I only have media players in my configuration…

The error is couldn’t update the setting, please check your connection.

Once 0.57 is out I’m sure the documentation can be revisited - for the very first release of the component it’s unsurprising a few things were overlooked.

As for what to do, now you just use it - assign entities to rooms, and then ask Google to turn them on or off. For example, if I say “Hey Google, turn off the lights” it turns off everything identified as a light, plus the entities that have the word “light” in their name.

1 Like

I’d just expand on what @Tinkerer said. Currently supported platforms are: switch, light, cover, media_player, group, fan, and scene, with the following caveats:

• Covers are treated as lights (on=open, off=closed, brightness=position).
  • Media players are treated as lights (on/off, brightness=volume).
  • Fans are treated as switches (on/off).
  • Groups are treated as scenes.

At the current state of the dev branch, 0.57 will add support for:

• Climate (set temperature, range, and operation mode).
  • Scripts (treated as scenes).
  • Setting a custom domain for any of the supported domains (e.g. treat a cover as a switch rather than as a light, treat a switch as a light, etc).

There is currently an open PR to change the way groups are handled.

3 Likes

It appears that Let’s Encrypt will only allow validation over port 80 (http) or 443 (tls-sni), so if your ISP blocks those ports then you are out of luck.

What about output? So TTS.
Can I let Google Assistant speak out “washing machine done” on my Google Home mini device when the washing machine is done?

@PuckStar Assuming your washing machine state is somehow hooked into Home Assistant, then you can already do this with the TTS platform quite apart from this Google Actions platform.

Edited to add an example automation to do what you want (again, has nothing to do with this platform but requires you to set up the tts platform):

- alias: Announce the garage opening on Google Home
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.garage_door
    to: 'open'
  action:
    service: tts.google_say
    entity_id: media_player.living_room
    data_template:
        The garage door just opened!

Where “media_player.living_room” is the name of my Google Home as discovered by Home Assistant.

2 Likes

It can only talk through a speaker connected to HASS right? So it can’t talk through the Google Home right?

@codymhorton Sure it can - you’re forgetting that Google Home is also basically a Chromecast Audio and HASS discovers chromecast. Lots of examples on the forums of people using TTS with Google Home way before this Google Actions platform was a thing.

1 Like

Okay thanks I’ll have to look into that!

pretty cool!

Anyone have trouble getting the gactions application to open/run on Win 10? It briefly opens then closes right away.

I’m guessing you need to run it from the command line, not just double-click on it.