Setting up groups.yaml and the Overview disappears?

I’ve been reading up on how to set up groups and thought i could be able to avoid any newbie misstakes but no.

When i restart, all my switches that used to be in the Overview is gone, all i have is the Introduction tab and new devices tab

I want two groups named Windows Lights and Mood Lights in a tab. configuration.yaml is pretty much as it came except for the lines added for the Tellstick.

groups.yaml looks like this

default_view:
  view: true
  icon: mdi:home
  entities:
    - group.windows
    - group.Mood
windows:
  name: Windows Lights
  entities:
    - Fonster.Tstuga
    - Fonster.Kitchen
    - Fonster.Vrum
mood:
  name: Mood Lights
  entities:
    - Golvlampa.Vrum
    - TV.Vrum
    - Light.Hall

and configuration.yaml like this

homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
  latitude: 0
  longitude: 0
  # Impacts weather/sunrise data (altitude above sea level in meters)
  elevation: 36
  # metric for Metric, imperial for Imperial
  unit_system: metric
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
  time_zone: Europe/Stockholm
  # Customization file
  customize: !include customize.yaml

# Show links to resources in log and frontend
introduction:

# Enables the frontend
frontend:

# Enables configuration UI
config:

# Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
# http:
#   base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

# Checks for available updates
# Note: This component will send some information about your system to
# the developers to assist with development of Home Assistant.
# For more information, please see:
# https://home-assistant.io/blog/2016/10/25/explaining-the-updater/
updater:
  # Optional, allows Home Assistant developers to focus on popular components.
  # include_used_components: true

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# Allows you to issue voice commands from the frontend in enabled browsers
conversation:

# Enables support for tracking state changes over time
history:

# View all events in a logbook
logbook:

# Enables a map showing the location of tracked devices
map:

# Track the sun
sun:

# Switches
switch:
  - platform: tellstick

# Sensors
sensor:
  # Weather prediction
  - platform: yr
  #Temp
  - platform: tellstick

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google

# Tellstick
tellstick:
  host: core-tellstick
  port: [50800, 50801]

# Cloud
cloud:

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
default_view:
  entities:
    - group.windows
    - group.mood
windows:
  name: Windows Lights
  entities:
    - Fonster.Tstuga
    - Fonster.Kitchen
    - Fonster.Vrum
mood:
  name: Mood Lights
  entities:
    - Golvlampa.Vrum
    - TV.Vrum
    - Light.Hall

You’ve spelled the “mood” group with a capital letter “m”. Also the entities for the group “windows” and “mood” exist like that in Home Assistant?

I’m quit sure “Light.Hall” should be “light.Hall” because the component “light” is not spelled with a capital.

Go to: http://hassio.local:8123/dev-state or press the “<>” icon in the left panel and search for your entities there. Start with adding only one entity of which you are sure it exists and see if that works.

Capitals and white-spaces are very important in yaml syntax.

All entity names are lower case.

By setting a default view you are overriding the default view which is why it went away.

Read the group docs carefully and come back with any issues you have.

I think i made a mistake, all the entities are in fact switches, which controls one light source each. So no smart bulbs, just good old 433 Mhz components.

I thought mood was the group name and that name:Mood Lights would define the screen name as" Mood Lights".

The entity names are copy/paste from devices.

That’s the name I gave one switch, will change it to a better one.

Even if i gave them a Capitals in the definition?

What should it be to just be added to the original view?

That’s where I started, and still can’t figure out how to solve it.

# If you rename "custom_view" to "default_view" you overwrite the default_view from home assistant 
custom_view:
  entities:
    - group.card_1
    - group.card_2
card_1:
  name: Card 1 name
  entities:
    - sensor.yr_symbol
card_2:
  name: Card 2 name
  entities:
    - sun.sun

Try this in instead of yours and see were it gets you, try to see where the names come from. Everything in front of the dots (.) like sun.sun is called the component. These are always lowercase. Everything behind the dot is the name you gave the entity, and can be whatever you like. Although keeping them all lower case would be easier.

If you find yourself struggling, try stripping your new stuff down to as little as possible and go from there.

1 Like

Yes, match the entity_id from the “states” page in the developer tools. Only these entity_ids will work when trying to do something in home assistant.

Items should be automatically added to the “original view” by default. Maybe not in the fashion you want but they will show up.

This is often fine when getting started but gets a bit overwhelming once you really start to add items.

I would recommend thinking about how you want things displayed and staring to just create your own views, getting rid of the default view. Its a bit of up front work, however, I don’t know any users that keep the ‘original view’ for very long.

Worked like a dream, will kepp building form here. Thanks

You’re right, seems like it would be a good idea to go for the Lovelace UI from the start and get the design i need, cause it’s starting to get a bit messy already.

Lovelace is a good idea. Its is ‘experimental’ but has been pretty stable in my experience.

The biggest advantage of Lovelace, IMO, for a newer users is not having to restart to have changes appear. Just save the config file and refresh your browser. With groups and views a restart is required which can really be time consuming.

I am not sure if this answers your question, but during development of my UI, I wanted to see both my groups and the original default group. As the docs say, when you define a group as default_view, it becomes the main “tab” and the original default tab is hidden. To get this back, don’t define a default_view.

The ability to be able to just refresh to see changes was what got me interrested. From what I’ve read it seems like Lovelace will be the main UI in the future.