Setting up on Windows 10 failed

So I followed a guide on here to install Home Assistant on Windows 10 using a virtual machine and all went well up until starting and then my pc crashed.

No error messages came up, it just restarted

Tried it twice and the same outcome.

I was considering doing it on my desktop to save purchasing a third Pi (currently have a pihole and retropie running on two Pi’s) but didn’t expect my computer to fail.

Any ideas or should I just go ahead and buy another Pi?

I would suggest just buying another pi.
I don’t use my windows pc 24/7 and I find the number of “upgrades/updates/random restarts etc.” to be bloody irritating. Translate that to a system that is expected to run 24/7 and its a no brainer.
Given that the recommended install is for a pi and most of the user base are on pi’s you will also get the best possible support and advice on integrations / automations etc.
Just remember that it runs headless but as you are running pihole you are probably okay with that.

When you get a little more experienced, you can consider other options (6 months min) but this will get you started

1 Like

I can’t thank you enough for your support. I know it was a reply, but it’s just the answer I was looking for.

I have no issue with headless as I access pihole via Putty and I have reasonable with Linux and Pi’s

You can use ssh after you have ‘onboarded’ (by selecting an ssh add-on) but generally you just use the : -
http://internalhaipaddress:8123 for interacting with it.
You probably know this but just to be safe, we get a lot of people who just try to attach a monitor.

1 Like

Just to further thank you for your support.

A decision well made and all set up, just need to convince the missus to use it. LOL

You seem to be thinking that the best use of HA is as a remote control for your house.
Not True.
The best bit is when it just does things you would ‘want’ it to do.
For example : - (say) the sun is below 2 degrees above the horizon, you open the back door, and the porch light comes on, the dog runs out and you close the door. The porch light stays on. A couple of minutes later the dog comes back (which you can see because the light is still on) you open the door, the dog runs in, you close the door and the porch light goes off.
All Seemless, no interaction required.
She starts to think Hmmm ! This is okay
Then you set a light to come on when anyone enters the kitchen (again if after dark) useful if your hands are full.
Let these little things seep into the family’s awareness.
Concentrate most of your effort where ‘you’ want it
Minimise things that may cause frustration or unexpected results.

Don’t drum on about it, let it creep. Don’t bore her talking about automations, let her come to you.

I feel that if I need to use HA as a remote, then my automations aren’t good enough.
There are some things, you will need to manually adjust but try to keep to a minimum

1 Like

I love it Mutt, thank you so much.