[Setup Questions] qt-openzwave setup with z-wave module attached to remote Raspberry Pi

Heyhey folks,

Just to start off, I do know that the “Home Assistant Z-Wave over MQTT Integration” is in pre-release, and so things won’t work/will change how they work/aren’t documented yet.

With that out of the way, I do want to set it up in it’s current state, both to save having to migrate my Z-Wave network later (the built in Z-Wave component doesn’t work with my controller sadly, through it theoretically should, so my only other choice is ZWave2MQTT), and to be able to provide feedback and usage data to help with it’s ongoing development.

My Z-Wave network is currently just a couple of sensors, and I’lll be adding a bunch of switches to it in the coming months. The physical button for the switches to pair them is going to end up on the inside of the wall once installed, so another reason I’d rather have the network running sooner, even if I can’t fully use it until much later. If I can pair the switches as they are put in by the sparky and then just use them as regular switches until the integration is more complete, that is better than waiting first, and having to pull the switches out of the wall again to include them at that stage :slight_smile:

While I’m technically pretty savvy (my job is mid-level IT Support), I’m very inexperienced with Docker and MQTT, nor do I do much with python ever, so while I might want to get going on this, I’m really going to need some help to do so. And the Home Assistant Community is a pretty amazing group of people for that, so hopefully someone out there has the time and know-how to point me in the right direction.

My goal is to have my RazBerry Controller running on my Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenZWave/qt-openzwave, connected to Home Assistant running on my Raspberry Pi 4. Sadly the GPIO is taken up on the Pi 4, so I can’t just move the controller.

I’m told elsewhere you should be able to set it up this way, but all the instructions I can find are to get it all running on a single computer, so I’m hoping someone understands all the bits and bobs that go into it and can tell me what I would need to do to set up the OpenZWave part on the Pi 3.

Thanks in advance!