Share your HADashboard setups

As asked in the HA Dashboard thread a start to inspire others.

some old and unused ones, but its a start

6 Likes

Very nice indeed Rene - I keep meaning to ask you about the graphs - is it one of your own widgets, or another Dashing widget you found somewhere? I would like to add that to the base distro!

And regarding sharing dashboards - you’ve all seen mine - it hasn’t changed much :wink:

1 Like

the graps are the standard graph already in your distribution.
I just changed them to get data from HA.
it is that what i have posted here on the forum.

the only thing i never came around to is to make it so that the data is saved.
right now the graph starts empty, every time you restart the dashboard page.

Thanks for starting the thread, beat me to it by a couple hours.

I’ve finally got the weather radar working like I wanted (for the most part), but I’m still looking to get a traffic map from Google. Other than that, I have realized I really need to expand my HA in general, I can’t even fill up a whole screen yet :disappointed:

I’ll share mine once I have more than 3 of the default widgets changed… :joy: Still trying to think of ideas for what to put on it, which is why I came up with the sharing idea!

1 Like

Here are some of the panels I have around my house. Most of these run on rooted 7" kindle fire tablets running CyanogenMod, and are mounted to walls near the old lightswitches. I have one main dash file, which has pages for each room. This makes it easy to control things in rooms other than the one you are in. The bottom row on each dash page is used to switch between pages. The “Light Lock” button seen on many of the screens below disables motion controlled lighting in that room while on.

Kitchen Panels - Covers the lighting in the Kitchen and adjacent rooms, as well as a few switches for appliances. The “Cooking Mode” script turns on all of the kitchen lighting, turns on music in the kitchen, and disables motion control to kitchen lights for 45 minutes. Handy when you’ll be in the room, but standing relatively still for awhile (such as when preparing meals). The “Pizza Light” is just what we call the outside post lamp. We really only use it when expecting food delivery, so the name seemed fitting.

Living Room Panels - Covers lighting in the Living/Dining room (really just one large room), along with some overflow from adjacent rooms. The “Colored Lights” button toggles a switch with some DMX lights and an LED strip. The Steam and XBMC buttons make http calls to a webserver running eventghost on our HTPC, which starts or kills the respective program. Handy to have, since we don’t tend to use a keyboard or mouse with that machine, and those two programs sometimes cause crashes and freezes. Music closet turns on power to our guitar and bass amps, pedals, and wireless system for playing music. Goodnight button sets a timer that turns off most of the lights in the house, most of the appliances, and lights up the bedrooms hallway leading to them.

Living Room “Colors” Screen - Made this to play with the lighting colors in the living room. Each color button on the top and bottom row run a script that controls the color of half of the lights in the room (that’s why there are two buttons for each color). These control Hue lights, a bunch of LED strips (running the Magic/Flux Led library), and an Hyperion installation. The middle row is to access the default Hue profiles.

Master Bedroom Panel - Lighting in the bedroom, control over the adjustable bed, and a few scenes.

HVAC Panel - this gives manual controls for the thermostat, curtains, and has some sensor readouts I don’t use much. It’s also where I had empty space to add buttons to access the next two panels which I added after I did the initial design. I’ll get around to cleaning that up, someday.

These next two are displaying on 6" (Nexus 6) phones mounted in the bathroom and by the exit, so they are a slightly different aspect ratio to accommodate the different screen size.

Main Bathroom Panel: has controls for the digital led lighting, smart mirror, and a timer for showers. It runs a script that blinks the lights after 15 minutes to remind my kids that there are other people waiting to get in.

Breezeway Panel: This is mounted right next to our main exit. Handy to hit the “all lights” button on the way out.

This panel is for a couple of Samsung Galaxy S3 phones my wife and I have on either side of our bed, for controlling things in the bedroom.

This is a similar panel for my kids to control things in their room.

Hope that helps gives some ideas of a few things you can do with HADashboard. Big thanks to @aimc for the backend (and for appdaemon, which I also make a lot of use of)

12 Likes

Wow… if I was looking for some ideas, you sure gave me some. Those are some fantastic looking set ups. Time for me to get some Kindle Fires

Just a caveat, @Sentinel82 - Do some googling on those, and make sure you are comfortable tinkering around in Android. Amazon actively works against the rooting process on Fire Tablets with their firmware updates. There isn’t always a way to root the most recent versions. Usually their efforts are defeated (see cat/mouse), but this does take time.

That being said, any tablet that can display a webpage on a touchscreen would work for these. Nothing notable about the Fire tablets other than the price.

Yeah, I’ve done plenty of rooting and working with (the late) CyanogenMod, so I’m comfortable with that. The price is definitely a huge factor, though. It’s tough to find another decent tablet at $50

1 Like

Awesome setup – inspiring! Could you share what software you’re doing on the CyanogenMod tablets to display/lockdown? I actually have a rooted Fire but Android isn’t my daily driver so there’s a world of I don’t know.

Also, curious how you have them mounted/powered on the walls

Thanks.

Honestly, I’m just using chrome to display the dashboard pages. If you use the “add to homescreen” link, it will hide the location bar UI, so it all looks clean.

As for display timeout, you need to enable developer mode (go to Settings->About Device->Tap (7) times on ‘Build Number’->Back to Settings->Scroll to ‘Developer Options’). Once Developer Mode is on, you can select an option called ‘Stay awake’. This prevents the screen from turning off as long as the tablet is plugged in.

For lockdown, these are all located in my home, I haven’t found a need to lock it down. If you have one, check out Kiosk Browser (there are a bunch with similar names. I’ve used this one before, but I’m sure others would work as well). You can use it to run a fullscreen browser window, and block users from exiting the application or accessing settings.

Not doing anything fancy for mounting. I 3d-printed a few tabs, screwed them into the wall, and stuck the tablets between them. For power I just plugged them into a nearby outlet. One of these days I’ll run 5v in the wall to hide the cord, but it isn’t a priority. My wife is a nerd too, neither of us worry much about aesthetics as long as the functionality is good. Here is an example of the one by our back door:

There is some additional discussion of mounting options in this thread.

1 Like

It’s true. I’d just hate to recommend something and have it not work for you! :slight_smile:

HADashboard is lightweight enough that it works on pretty old hardware. Reason I mention this - you may already have hardware laying around unused that you can re-purpose to HADashboard.

For example, the switch in my kids’ room is one of these. I wouldn’t recommend buying these for this purpose, but I had a couple laying around collecting dust, so thought I’d re-purpose them. Also have one panel in the living room and one in my bedroom running on old HP Touchpad’s.

Here is a picture of one of the touchpads:

The interface is a little bit slower on these devices, but still works fine. I’ve found that rebooting them once a day (tasker!) helps to keep them working well.

Also - on the subject of older tablets - disable auto-updates! An update to Chrome last year broke my HP Touchpads. I ended up having to switch to Kiosk Browser on just those devices to maintain functionality.

1 Like

Wow, much grander than my 2 panel setup! Glad to see yo uare getting a lot of use out of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I l did most of my web development work in the 90s and very early 00s, so let’s just say creating an interface that is basically tables in html markup came very easily to me. Happy to share any of the source, although I don’t think there is anything too fancy there.

Thank you again for all of your work making projects like this and AppDaemon available to the rest of us.

1 Like

A small display with weather and commute information, in my flat’s entrance. The dashboard itself doesn’t have anything really interesting for this thread, but… a 2.8" screen fits nicely in Lego :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Loving the Lego case!

Cool – I’ve done what you have, with the addition of the Immerse Me module in Xposed. Immerse Me removes the Android status bars too, so 100% of the screen is what I want to render now… which will be the project that is never done right? :slight_smile:

@Zen I saw on another one of your posts that you’re using your set up for an intercom system as well. How did you set this up?

@Sentinel82 - Sorry for the late reply.

Nothing fancy on the intercom. I’m currently using an android application from the play store called “Com Intercom”. It hasn’t been updated in quite awhile, but it works fine for my purposes. It scans the local LAN for devices listening on a specific port (8989 by default), and adds them to a list. You can then press a button to broadcast voice to a device on that list. You can also broadcast to all devices in the list simultaneously (which is nice for announcements to the family when you don’t know where they are - eg: dinner is ready). There is support for video as well, although I do not use it. The intended use case is as a video doorbell / room monitor.

I installed the app on each of my wall tablets, and on to my wife and I’s phones. We put the tablets into “Room Station” mode, and then switch the display back to HADashboard, and let it run in the background. It’s really good about not stealing focus back. Then we can just use the app on our phones to broadcast to whichever tablet we want to send to.

It works, but to be perfectly honest, this was definitely a “because I can” project, rather than solving a problem. There are probably better software solutions to this problem. This was the first one I tried, and it worked well enough, so I didn’t search further.

Side note - I discovered it works fine routed over a VPN, so when my kids are home alone and I am at work, I can mess with them by playing random sounds in the next room. They haven’t caught on yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I spent all day trying to get hadashboard up and running and just can’t get it figured out. After wrestling with Ruby version stuff and a few other things, I’m at the point where I get this output:

Thin web server (v1.6.4 codename Gob Bluth)
Maximum connections set to 1024
Listening on 0.0.0.0:3030, CTRL+C to stop

However, trying to navigate to the page in a web browser just causes the loading animation to spin forever, and the page never responds :frowning:

Nice, Is your config file available somewhere?
Or is there some place with config examples?