Shelly 1 Mini Gen3 Recovery

Hi all,

I may or may not have soft bricked my shelly 1 mini gen3 by incorrectly flashing esphome over tasmota in an attempt to flash it OTA just like I did with its larger siblings.

The shelly itself is doing its job, reporting status updates to HA and I can switch the relay from HA, but any attempts to update the software OTA are failing. It is currently running a minimal configuration with just the switch, relay, ota. Trying to flash it from the esphome HA addon is supposedly successful, only to have the shelly boot into the old firmeware once again.

[17:32:21][I][app:100]: ESPHome version 2024.4.2 compiled on May  7 2024, 10:52:40

I also attempted to recover it using a feature that is part of an open pull request, where esphome can write the bootloader and partition table OTA (guide). When attempting to flash OTA through command line, it errors out “Unsupported OTA version 2”.

Interestingly, on boot, it logs support for version 2:

[17:32:21][C][ota:096]: Over-The-Air Updates:
[17:32:21][C][ota:097]:   Address: <redacted>
[17:32:21][C][ota:103]:   OTA version: 2.

This procedure worked fine for other shellys of the same kind, where I had previously installed tasmota and allowed it to repartition the device to safeboot - but is exactly where I messed up for the shelly in question.

I would really like to avoid having to flash over serial, since I spent yesterday and today trying to get a serial connection but apparently I’m not very good at precisely holding down 5 individual pins at the same time.

Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve that I might try?

Thanks!

@nholloh did you resurrect your shelly gen3 mini? I was about to solder it but is so tiny I am afraid to screw up…
Thank you,