Shelly button plus shelly one Vs sonoff basic r3

Any thought on the above? The Shelly looks like a more elegant solution, but more than double the price.

Use case is to add a smart /manual switch to a lamp (yes, I know I can use a smart plug, but that’s less convenient when switching off from my bed)

Thanks.

I use a Shelly Button with a Shelly Duo smart bulb. The Duo needs to be always powered to use it properly. I have fine grained control over colour etc. via HA and I have several button profiles for the Shelly Button linked to light profiles. It works fine. Like many hobbyists starting out, I too got a bunch of smart bulbs but soon realised some of the downsides, such as that you have to control them via an app when you want to do something that’s not automated, or for example you have someone staying at your home and they can’t control anything. My preference now is (in many cases) rather have a normal bulb wired to a Shelly1, that also have a physical switch attached. This way, it can be controlled in an old and new way and you can keep the existing light switch in tact. The downside is you can’t control a smart bulb this way. If so, you need a fancier light switch that works with the bulb (like a touch sensitive button that can fade the brightness). It becomes a lot more expensive.

But you’re asking about Shelly Button plus Shelly1. Personally I think it’s an unnecessary complexity. I’d just wire a button to the Shelly1 – unless there’s a specific reason you want a detached button (like the physical switch would be too far away for convenience).

I also have a Sonoff Basic (not R3) inline with a floor lamp. The wiring is easy to understand, so it’s easy for most people to install (compared to wiring a Shelly1 with a physical button). You basically get what I described in the previous paragraph: physical control and app control.

The Shelly1 is more expensive, because the relay circuit is detached, so you can power it with one voltage (say 24V DC) and control another (say 220V AC). The Sonoff is inline, which simplifies things, but everything needs to run on the same voltage.