Shelly device keeps going unavailable and disconnected

I have 2 shelly Plus 1 that were loosing connection regularly.
It happened that sometimes when the router is changing the wifi channel (after a new device pops in, like a smartphone) the Shellies were not “receiving the info” and were becoming unresponsive.
After that, rebooting the router (or hotspot) or power off/on the Shelly was restoring the connection. Any of the two is working. So the shellies were not hanged/frozen.
The work around for me was simply to fix the wifi channel on the router, so it does not change anymore.
Since then, no issues anymore of Shelly becoming unresponsive.
I thought sharing this might help some of you…

Router: Asus DSL-AC68U
Shellies: Shelly Plus 1

Thanks for the tip, I’m having issues with my Shelly Plus S that they become unresponsive at all, not through the app, not through the web interface, only solution is factory reset.
Last time I updated my unifi router software so they rebooted and after that all of them became “dead”.
But maybe this is related to the channel changing after a reboot of my APs.
Going to give this a try.

Thanks a lot for this tip. I have the same issues (4 x Shelly 1PM devices, connection is constantly lost after a day or so and powering off and on the device helps), I also have an Asus router. I set a fixed value to my 2.4 channel. I will let you know if that helped.

FWIW … I had issues with a of couple Shelly devices constantly dropping connection, and so I set my nearest wifi AP/router to a fixed 2.4GHz channel, which seems to have resolved the issue.

Incidentally, my wifi AP/router (and the Shellys in question) was just in range of my neighbour’s wifi, so channel hopping was inevitable.

Factory resetting the Shelly device worked for me! And suddenly all Shelly devices seem to have restored itself :slight_smile:

I have the probelm that shelly’s getting unavailable, when internet connention is gone. It also could be possible the the device gets unresponsive completly until i powercycle it. I had problems with my modem, so network and router works fine, but no internet. In this case the problem can be reproduced. I have read that Shelly devices need a ntp server to work proberly (Wie kann man Shelly Geräte ohne Internet benutzen? :), so i entered a local ntp server now, and test that. But pretty sure that this will not solve the problem.

another help for perople with only one Accesspoint could be to disable wifi routing:

will try that too.

Also I have the same problem with a Shelly 2PM. I use it for a window blind. Right now I have just one for testing and the plan is to put it on all windows. But the WIFI drops make me second guess that idea.

I tried to tweak my WIFI. Set fixed WIFI channels. Replaced the router / AP
In the Shelly settings I disabled the roaming and the eco mode.
I also tracked the WIFI signal (.rssi entity) but that also didn’t help to figure out the problem.

Shelly WIFI Drop

It stays in the network for 2-3 days without problems and suddenly it drops a few times within one hour.

I’m running out of ideas :frowning:

I have dropping out with Shelley em
Is this just with asus routers ?

I’ve read that many lose the wifi connection with the shelly PM and shelly EM.
I have to say that I have had that problem with them. Researching, I’ve come up with the solution.
There is a capacitor that needs to be replaced, its value is 16V and 100UF.
I have had the problem on 4 devices and by changing the capacitor they have fixed the connection problems.

1 Like

I have a Shelly Plus 1 that often becomes Unavailable in Home Assistant at various times of the day. It is at the end of the garden, closer to neighbours’ APs and the RSS is -80dBm at best. However, it very rarely loses connection with the Shelley Cloud. I think what is happening is that the device occasionally loses wi-fi connection but that the Shelly Cloud connection is robust and recovers when wi-fi connection is resumed. Home Assistant seems not to be as capable or forgiving.

Anyone had any updates on this?
I have 2 Uni’s connected using static ips. They are connecting to my HA Server using CoIoT. They both have the same issues with intermittent disconnecting and reconnecting and i cant for the life of me figure out why

For those that have Asus routers, check out this article: [Wireless Router] How to improve compatibility of IoT device with ASUS WiFi 6(802.11 ax) router? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Looks like some settings on the router can make things better, things like keeping the wifi channel the same and disabling anything beyond 802.11b+g+n

Many thanks for that link. I do have such issues with an ASUS router. Just changed these settings. Will report back in due course.