Shelly devices in the US

Is anyone using Shelly devices here using shelly devices, specifically the shelly 1L or similar in the US?

I’m wondering if this can be done in a house wired with 12gauge wire. The wire ports on the device look quite small, and I doubt the #12 wire will go in them.

I’m wondering if anyone has managed to do that and would be willing to share the method.

I use the 1PMs in a few places.
I had to use terminal caps to get the connections in the shelly, so in most cases you probably won’t be able to fit directly into the shelly.

I am using them and found the terminals will not tighten on 12 gauge wire. I have been successful using a short piece of 14 gauge wire with a yellow wing nut to make the connections.

For good reason. You use 12-gauge wire in 20-Amp circuits and I don’t think the Shelly-1 is rated for that much current. So why would they design it to accept a 12-gauge wire (and expose themselves to lawsuits).

Wire-nut a short pigtail from the wire to the Shelly.

So #14 will go in the device fine?

Yes … they tighten down well.

Thank you. I’ll try that.

Since the Shelly is limited to 10A, you could use 16 gauge.
Most home circuits are 15 Amp. What are you trying to switch with the Shelly?
Also, are you confident that someone won’t plug in a 20 Amp device, which would smoke the Shelly.

I’m trying to keep an old dumb switch, but add smart functionality. It’s just a plain old switch to toggle some lights on and off. The load is pretty small, only 4 x 9W LED lights, but the whole house is wired with #12 wire

That’s strange. Have you seen the price of 12/2 Romex lately? Are most of the breakers 15 or 20 Amp?

I have seen the price of 12/2… but the house was built about 3 years ago, so the pricing then was nowhere near what it is today. As a matter of fact I work in the electrical industry, so I have some knowledge… all breakers are 20A and larger