Shelly EM for excess solar production?

Hi all,

I’ve read about a number of HA compatible energy monitoring devices, incl. Shelly EM, IoTaWatt and iammeter. I’m leaning towards Shelly EM but want to make sure it covers my needs.

I’ve got solar panels and a Tesla. I want to export excess solar production to the Tesla as I am in Australia and there is basically no benefit of selling electricity back to the grid. There are numerous guides on how to set that automation up (e.g. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/charging-tesla-with-excess-power-from-solar-panels/545591/13), so this post is purely about the hardware to enable the set up. The reason I’m leaning towards the Shelly EM is the low cost and that I don’t want to monitor consumption of individual circuits (I don’t care).

My solar system has a GoodWe inverter that is compatible with HA and I can monitor the production already in HA.

What is lacking is any means of confirming what the house is consuming at any given time to enable me to see the excess solar exported to the grid. Shelly EM appears to allow to CT clamps for monitoring but I believe I actually only need one? As per this guide, if I install a Shelly EM and attach one of the CT clamps to the incoming power to the mains switch, that should measure if the house is exporting and importing from the grid (assuming the Shelly EM can measure current in both directions??). When exporting, then I can create an automation to charge my Tesla.

I’ve attached photo my switchboard with the mains switch at the far left.

Kind regards,
Ulf

1 Like