Shelly integration: add input state to binary sensors

CoAP multicast is already merged and will be available in HA 0.118.

2 Likes

From HA 0.118 release notes: The Shelly integration now has real-time status updates, which has been implemented by [@thecode]! Does that mean input state binary sensor is up and running in 0.118?

No. Check 3 posts above your one.
Bieniu posted a link to a pull request for that one. It is already merged. Maybe for a 0.118.x release?

Nope, new feature PRs go to the next release, so we have to wait for HA 0.119.

1 Like

Any idea when 0.119 will be released?

December 13

BTW there is a calendar on the developers page: https://developers.home-assistant.io/

Ok, with the latest version of HA I see binary sensors created for the shelly devices with a input set to detached. But they are not available somehow.

On the shelly integration page you have to listen to a shelly.click event.

So what is the integration? The shelly.click event or the binary sensors? If it is the latter, how do I get the sensor to be available in HA?

I tried both ways, unfortunately none is workingā€¦

1 Like

Has anyone got the binary sensor working? I just updated HA to the latest version and I see there are binary sensors available, but not the binary sensor for the state of the switch. There is a sensor for, input, rssi, cloud, and firmware. Iā€™m not sure what the input sensor does, but it does not change states with the reed switch open or closed.

Iā€™m not sure what you are missing : recent ha release provide entities like binary_sensor.shellydimmer2_e098069qq3d4_channel_2_input. And they are changing state when the button is pressed.
My problem is that this state change is slow : short pressing the button often misses the event in HA. I set up a simple automation toggling an another shell by the off-on state change of the input wired to a pushbutton. Firmly pressing the button works fine, but thatā€™s not naturalā€¦

I have a Shelly 1 as a garage door switch. 12v power and a magnetic reed switch to tell if the door is open or closed. The input state doesnā€™t change when the switch is open or closed. Is the input sensor what should be changing from on to off based on the switch being open or closed?

1 Like

Does someone also experiencing CoAP issues? None of my Shelly devices gets autodiscovered. Must say dat i donā€™t care, i can add them by hand. But then CoAP does not work, the state change is super slow (default 60sec). Must say that my Shellyā€™s are on other VLAN then Home Assistant, but mDNS works fine with Esphome, which are also on that same VLAN and does not have any delay. Iā€™m using Ubiquiti stuff.

Look here https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/43432#issuecomment-731386291

Thanks. Good post. The devices get autodiscovered now, but responds slow ā€¦ running v1.9.3-rc3.

Iā€™m a bit out of options on my end iā€™m afraidā€¦

Debug log for Shelly integration please.

Do you mean this part of the log:

2021-01-05 12:10:12 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:10:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:10:17 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Polling Shelly Device - Dimmer Kitchen
2021-01-05 12:10:17 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Kitchen data
2021-01-05 12:10:17 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Finished fetching Dimmer Kitchen data in 0.015 seconds
2021-01-05 12:10:27 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:10:29 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:10:43 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:10:44 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:10:50 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Polling Shelly Device - Dimmer Kitchen
2021-01-05 12:10:50 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Kitchen data
2021-01-05 12:10:50 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Finished fetching Dimmer Kitchen data in 0.014 seconds
2021-01-05 12:10:58 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:10:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:11:13 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:11:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:11:23 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Polling Shelly Device - Dimmer Kitchen
2021-01-05 12:11:23 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Kitchen data
2021-01-05 12:11:23 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Finished fetching Dimmer Kitchen data in 0.013 seconds
2021-01-05 12:11:28 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data
2021-01-05 12:11:29 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Dimmer Master Bedroom data
2021-01-05 12:11:43 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Manually updated Shelly Living Room data

Edit: Looks like itā€™s manually updating, so COAp does not work. They did get autodiscovered right away but after that itā€™s still updating manually.

Manually updated... means that integration getting data from CoAP multicast. Polling... means that integration didnā€™t get data from multicast on time and the device was polled for data. You have some problems with multicast in your network.

Forgot to add to my post: Only ā€œDimmer Kitchenā€ is connected to diffrent VLAN and has therefor issues with Multicast. The other two devices are connected to the same VLAN as Home Assistant. They work as expected.

I have no clue what holds back the operation of Multicastā€¦ Iā€™m going to investigate further with firewall rules.

I got it figured out. Apparently the reed switch was bad. I replaced it and the state change is almost instant, no lag at all. Discovery doesnā€™t work for me but thats not a big deal. I can add devices one at a time when I install them.