Shelly Supported Devices

I’m looking to replace my zwave controller, fibaro sensors and switches. I moved my HomeAssistant to Hyper-V and want to stop using a separate Rasberry with controller and Zwave2MQTT.

So far Shelly has products to replace everything and these are the devices I want to buy:
Shelly 1 - AC Powered
Shelly S - AC powered
Shelly Uni - AC powered
Shelly Button1 - Battery powered
Shelly Door/Windows 2 - Battery powered
Shelly Flood - Battery powered
Shelly Smoke - Battery powered (coming soon)
Shelly Motion - Battery powered (coming soon)

There is a Shelly integration, but it lists the following known issues and limitations. What does limited support for battery-powered devices mean? On the Knowledge base sites of all the battery powered devices it says: “Compatible with Android, iOS, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and home automation servers using MQTT, CoAP, and REST API.”

My questions are:

• Will all these devices work with Home Assistant?
  • Do I have to flash software on the devices?
  • Will all the battery powered devices work with MQTT?
  • And most important, how stable are the Shelly devices?

You so not have to flash anything

I only have the Button 1 and it works also with MQTT if you want.

All Shellies are stable for me

Have a look at this alternative custom component, it supports way more things:

1 Like

I’m not sure ShellyForHas works with the latest firnware version. This is the reason why native integration development started. But this one is still incomplete and doesn’t use mqtt.

Answering OP:

all shelly devices work nativelly with mqtt. I advice manual configuration.

Regarding reliability:
AD/DC powered devices are very reliable.
battery-powered devices however are considered not reliable because of short battery life. There are users reporting proper/expected battery lifetime but there are lot cases when batteries last month or two only.
There os new fw pn the way. There are rumors that it will solve those issues. But there were same promises for recent fw. unfortunately nothing changed

1 Like

Thank you for the very quick and clear reply! I did find a short video about the Flood sensor and I think MQTT will be the best way to connect the devices. Ordering the Shelly Button1 and Shelly S now to start testing. Hope the upcoming firmware will fix things, but I don’t mind changing batteries every 60 days if everything works :wink: Thanks @maxym

i’ve heard the shelly temp sensors work too. is it local or does it still rely on a 3rd party cloud like etekcity?

what do you mean “still”?
Shelly offers cloud free control since beginning. Currently you can use http, coap or mqtt

so my etek city units, if i were ot loose internet they would not work. they have to hit the etekcity first before they will function. i have heard osme devices can talk straight to HASSIO with no 3rd part cloud in between like etekcity. YES shelly has direct IP control but, will it NOT work through HASSION if there is no internet? as to say can they work completely offline through HASSIO? aka NON cloud private AND NOT stuck using the direct IP via web browsering to each device.

I have the Shelly Motion, Flood and Button1. They all support MQTT locally to Home Assistant. Internet is only needed for the firmware update, no custom flash required.

BTW I’m very impressed with the battery in the Shelly’s. The motion only needs charging every 5 to 6 months and the flood is still at 100% after a year.

yes, Shellies can work without Internet connection regardless connected to HA or alone.
As mentioned above the Internet is needed for updates (but you can download FW manually and update from local network). Also if you want to rely on built-in time based automatons, Shelly require connection to sntp server. Most home routers provide such a service though so you can configure it to use your own SNTP. (and if you plan to use it with HA, you will likely not need it at all).
Shelly will get local IP addresses (either from dhcp or fixed in shelly config) and are available only from local network.
You have to disable Cloud support in their config. For most of them (1st gen) enabling mqtt automatically disables cloud.