Shelly Zwave Devices dropping off/becoming unavailable

I am running HASS OS on a RPi 4. I am running a mixture of wifi, zigbee and zwave devices. Until recently everything was going well, but recently some of my devices have been dropping off the network and stopped functioning.

I am running

• hass OS 11.2
  • Zwave js integration
  • Zwave JS UI add-on

I believe it is particularly the Shelly Qubino Wave Shutters that are creating trouble. The behaviour is quite weird: the device stops working in home assistant; but will receive pings send via Zwave JS UI; the diagnosis shows no problems.

But the device will not receive commands. I opened the socket and the shelly LED blinks red three times. According to the shelly docs, this is due to a voltage problem. When I unplug the shelly and reconnect to mains, it starts blinking green again and becomes available again.

Some hints: in zwave js Ui it shows a lot of received/sent TX/RX packets (like several hundred), no other device shows as many.

The Zwave JS UI Logs are not very helpful - when the device drops off, sth like this shows over and over again.

2023-12-08 23:52:47.716 INFO Z-WAVE: [Node 019] Value updated: 113-1-alarmType 0 => 0
2023-12-08 23:52:47.722 INFO Z-WAVE: [Node 019] Value updated: 113-1-alarmLevel 0 => 0
2023-12-08 23:52:47.725 INFO Z-WAVE: [Node 019] Value updated: 113-1-Power Management-Mains status 2 => 2

Has somebody experienced sth similar with shelly zwave devices in particular? Can anybody give me a hint how to troubleshoot this?

Happy to provide additional logs etc.

I do have the same problem.
Lights flashing red. Its for Wave Shutter (zwave).
It is super frustrating.
I gave up Fibaro roller shutter because they seemed to die after some weeks/months,
But looks like it is the same problem for shelly.
Its sad, because these things are expensive and should work. I use it with homey pro (2023)

I will open a ticket with shelly support and see what they have to say.

I have a simple on/off Shelly Qubino

I also started noticing it goes dead/unresponsive in some of the latest updates in HA. Dont know when though.

Usually just turning the light on or off from the light switch it pops up alive in HA again. Or if I hard reset HA (pull the plug).

Did anyone get any more info around Shelly Zwave issues?

I installed a Shelly zwave “Wave 1” today and it goes unavailable/offline constantly when triggering it from flows like node-red.

Then it goes back after switching power buttons phsyically usually.

“Garage Lampor Node status changed to dead
5:27:10 PM - 7 minutes ago”

Should I return them and switch to another fabric or maybe even zigbee?

The Shutter issue was resolved and the Firmware was released. The firmware is available on the Shelly support portal:
https://support.shelly.cloud/a/solutions/articles/103000258471?lang=en&portalId=103000045650

We did also open a pull request on GitHub for the Z-Wave JS firmware updates that is waiting for approval:

In most of cases like this it is possible that the HA mark it un-availible because it miss some packets from the device, is this is the case try to make the network stronger adding a repeater between the wave 1 and the HA

Hi,

I also have Qubino Wave 1 devices marked as unavailable by HA.
It generally occurs right after having triggered them.
What is strange is that the Qubino LED keeps flashing green, on a 1s on 2s off basis, telling everything’s normal.
I can wait hours, the device won’t reconnect by itself, but will keep flashing normal.
Ping or re-interview do not help at all.
Rebooting HA (which also power-cycle my Aeotec Z-Stick 7 adaptor) does not help at all.
The only thing I have to do is to power cycle the Qubino device itself.
Then it immediately becomes available in HA.

Running last Qubino 11.03 firmware, last HA versions…
Network is stronger enough, RSSI values are good…

I can’t figure why there are disconnections.
And I can’t figure why device won’t reconnect by itself…

This isssue is really annoying, especially when these devices manage things such as boilers, you can easily think what happens when they become unavailable…
I unfortunately can’t rely on these devices :confused:

@QubinoHelp do you plan to make them more reliable through better firmware updates ?

Thank you very much !

Hi @Mart124 ,

Thank you for providing your feedback and all the necessary information.

We currently have a Home Assistant (HA) setup undergoing testing, and we are in the process of configuring additional setups to identify and address as many issues as possible.

Upon reviewing the tickets, we have not encountered a similar problem reported thus far. To resolve the issue, our first step is to pinpoint its source. The information you have provided thus far has been helpful in this regard. To further investigate the problem you’re experiencing, we kindly request additional details about your setup and the issue.

1. You mentioned that the problem occurs after triggering the device:

• How is the command sent—via the UI or by pressing the button?
    • When the device is in the unavailable state, does pressing the button have any response from the device eg. relay clicking or state report?
  2. How was the Wave 1 included? Was it via S2, non-secure inclusion, or SmartStart?

3. Do you have other Wave devices, and if so, is this the only one experiencing the problem?

4. Is the Wave 1 connected directly to the controller, or does it communicate through another device?

5. How much time elapsed after adding the device before the problem arose?

6. On the bottom of the device’s package, there should be a number (e.g., 24/2023) or a code (e.g., B0124). If you have retained the packaging, could you provide this number? Alternatively, if you don’t have the packaging, could you provide the purchase date (month/year) of the device?

Additionally, we suggest attempting a factory reset of the device. Unlike a reboot, which simply restarts the device, a factory reset clears the device’s memory, potentially resolving any underlying issues.

@MrJack If you can provide the same info it will help us too.

Hi, I have been experiencing similar problems with a Quibino 1PM.
It keeps dropping off and often after toggling the state of the output through the Home Assistant UI.

The device was included in secure mode, not SmartStart.

There are other devices in the network, some experience regular issues but the existing secure devices are very reliable.
The 1PM device is in range of the controller but connects through one of the unsecured devices.

These problems started occurring very shortly after inclusion.

Hi,

in my case, the QUBINO WAVE SHUTTER that is S2_Authenticated after few hours it become unavailable on HA.
As soon as I ping it, it wake up and start to work normally.
I’m running fw 12.17.0 and the problem is started immediatly after the inclusion few days ago, sometimes it take 12 hours but sometimes only few minutes to go into offline status.
When I PING it or I push the up/down button (physically), it come back online.

I have 1 z-Wave device only in my HA since it’s a new installation, I will try to keep the Aeotec Z-Stick 7 more close and see if it continue to happen.
I can return my QUBINO (5 pieces) and I 'm close to do it :frowning:

after 2 days, still up and running with no disconection. As I said, now the Aeotec is closer the QUBINO.
Not sure how it works exactly…
It looks like if the antenna found the device offline is not going to retry anymore
OR
the Qubino is trying to reach the controller and if it’s fails, is not going to retry.

I 've restored my original configuration and now I will try to add a second Zwave device in the middle. let’s see.