Shinobi Camera Component

im not 100% sure a shinobi addon will work that well on an rpi3 hassio install due to resource usage, but nice to see that the docker path has come along quite well since the last time i checked it out.

Hello from the Shinobi community. I would like to confirm that Shinobi runs 4 720p cameras on an Odroid C2. I’m sure moeiscool would like to invite anyone to join his discord to say hello and give him a thanks!

As well, Shinobi is in it’s infancy, so expect some bugs/issues. That said, moe is VERY quick to fix any and all issues. He welcomes Pull Requests as well.

Shinobi CE Discord

I agree, nevertheless, Hass.io is not limited and/or bound to Raspberry Pi. E.g., I’m running it on a machine with an Intel i5.

@frenck of course. Apologies, my comment may have been misworded a bit.
Personally intending to move to an intel nuc myself but I’ll be using shinobi on my main dockerhost (when I get around to finishing off building it…).

Either way, some good work has gone in to this project.

1 Like

I am running on nuc with the add on and 18 cameras… it works great.

I may however go back to a dedicated server with 4 nic for hd bandwidth… nuc only has 1 ethernet…

1 Like

Hi @felixsteghofer,

Just got around to some testing of the component. Followed the instructions and then rebooted and then got this:

2018-04-16 12:37:18 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.shinobi] JSON decode exception caught while attempting to decode "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /90KVEGBzrFFEYh29N63cMb8ghfiq9u/smonitor/WqVSBmuJhl was not found on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at 192.168.1.137 Port 80</address>
</body></html>
"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/config/custom_components/shinobi.py", line 82, in _shinobi_request
    response = req.json()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 892, in json
    return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/simplejson/__init__.py", line 518, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 370, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 400, in raw_decode
    return self.scan_once(s, idx=_w(s, idx).end())
simplejson.errors.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
2018-04-16 12:37:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for shinobi: Component failed to initialize.
2018-04-16 12:37:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to setup dependencies of camera.shinobi. Setup failed for dependencies: shinobi
2018-04-16 12:37:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform camera.shinobi: Could not setup all dependencies. 

I noticed it is trying to hit port 80, however Shinobi runs on 8080, not sure if this is something or not?

Thanks

+1 for this request :slight_smile:

hey there,
just use <your-ip>: <port> as host in your config, e.g.

shinobi:
  host: 192.168.0.100:8080
  api_key: <api_key>
  group_key: <group_key>
  ssl: false

but this should definititely be a separate option in the config, will add that in the next days. As many will not run this behind a reverse proxy the default should also probably be 8080

Hi, I am still getting errors even with the port configured.

Just FYI, for the camera’s, I am not using white/black lists

still investigatong for shinobi? I just installed new docker image and wanted to give your custom component a try :slight_smile:

I just pushed an update with a fix for a “recent” breaking change so the component is working again with the latest version :slight_smile:

Have not been very active in the last time, when I get more feedback (bugs, needed features and if it is working in more setups) I will prepare a pull request to natively integrate it into home-assistant.

Is the latest version working for you?

hi there,
been using zoneminder and just made the switch as was getting too many issues with ZM.

Shinobi is pretty neat and tidy so far, and thank you for putting together this custom_component.

I have not yet managed to get it to work (pull from your github today).

log shows:

2018-09-13 00:41:47 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of camera.shinobi. Setup failed for dependencies: shinobi
2018-09-13 00:41:47 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform camera.shinobi: Could not set up all dependencies.

I’m assuming you have to match the streams to also be MJPEG as well as the setting in Shinobi. The thumbnails show in the Shinobi UX when set to MJPEG, but the stream doesnt load.

However all works great when using H264.
running on docker

happy to test, but may need a little help :slight_smile:

Hi,
I’m not sure if I got you right. Did the home assistant component work if setting the shinobi stream to h264? (and not if setting to MJPEG in Shinobi? My config is working with settting the stream to output MJPEG)

As you can read in the README I have not yet figured out what settings are working or not.

righto, so i cant say this is definitive, but here’s what i tried so far

camera H264
Shinobi H264
Shinobi works
HA does not

Camera MJPEG
Shinobi MJPEG
thumbnails load in Shinobi
Shinobi was not showing monitors / cameras
HA does not

happy to test more if you need

Hi,

Just to pipe in… i have zoneminder running.

After loading and configuring the shinobi component, zm still works but Idont see any shinobi cameras

But you are setting the Stream format, right?
I’m wondering because it shouldn’t matter which streaming format you are setting for the cams to work in shinobi itself (whereas of course the input type of the cam does matter).

Another question: Do you have the JPEG API enabled in shinobi (also in the cam settings)?

sry, I don’t get your problem. zm has nothing to do with shinobi, what is your problem? log output?

Hi,

I was thinking that it would create camera entity names as the same as ZM so was suimpy highlighting this as a potential conflict?

Otherwise, my problem, simply put, is that the component simply does not work after following the instructions…

onlly reference to log is that there was a delay loading the Shinobi component… nothing else…

Setup failed for shinobi: Component failed to initialize.
Unable to set up dependencies of camera.shinobi. Setup failed for dependencies: shinobi
Unable to prepare setup for platform camera.shinobi: Could not set up all dependencies.

Running the latest from your github and hass 0.82.1

Anyway to increase the logging for your component?