Shinobi Camera Component

Hi, After an incredible learning curve for which I am very grateful, I stumbled across Shinobi which is basically Zoneminder on steriods… Has anyone looked at integrating this with HA in the same way that the Zoneminder is integrated… This is way less resource intensive and far more user friendly… would love to have a Shinobi component but wouldnt know where to start to get this as a component… http://shinobi.video

Second this. ZoneMinder really just isn’t keeping up (still records in mjpeg…)

1 Like

+1 for this request :slight_smile:

I’ve just started researching this and also interested in shinobi. I was initially looking at zoneminder, but it feels like it hasn’t had much love since the early 2000’s. And BlueIris needs windows :-/

and BlueIris costs money… I recon is is a much better strategy to integrate cams into a central dedicated CCTV platform and then ingest that platform into HA instead of i9mplementing each camera one by one into HA. Use the right tool for the right job and all… :slight_smile: Shinobi beand new and still loads of quirks which need to be ironed out, but at least the dev team is responsive and friendly…

which hardware to get?

MAybe Digoo?

http://www.mydigoo.com/Digoo-DG-XME-1080P-4-8-12CH-HDMI-P2P-Standalone-ONVIF-NVR-Recorder-For-IP-Camera-Security-System-p-35.html

cant comment on nvr’s… like I said to you in a previous post… load up zoneminder on a virtualbox and play around before spending money… your post is also totally unrelated to this post… here we are trying to get a shinobi component… sinobi, zoneminder and any other software would invalidate the need for NVR…

1 Like

well you still need hardware to run the software on

not if you run it on a virtual machine… you do have a computer don’t you?

not 24/365 which should be a camera recording computer/nvr

I paid 25 Euro for that nvr (it’s coming), will see

you don’t need to run it 24/7… just ingest your cameras and then see what your load is… from understanding your load you will then be buying equipment with a specific design and performance in mind… anyway, looks like you are sorted now anyway

sorted but no integration in HASS. That nvr is Linux, so who knows maybe is possible to connect it somehow in hass

This is exactly why I suggested Zoneminder in the beginning before you bought a dedicated NVR… and hence also pushing for a Shinobi component… I can almost guarantee that Shinobi will become a component before your NVR solution… so if you use the NVR you will most probably be forced to manually connect each camera to HASS…

I am looking for a new NVR as well. Currently have Zoneminder set up, was looking at Shinobi. Which led me here, was anyone making a component for it. Then saw your link for the Digiithingamajig.
Let me know how it works out for what it is.

In the meantime on a spar NUC I installed Blue Iris, and I fell in love. Pretty cool software.

I integrated all motion sensors on HASS. Pretty cool

Blueiris is not a component in HA, and as it only runs on windows, I doubt it will be… additionally it costs money…

You dont want to integrate every camera you have into HA one by one… especially as you get more and more cameras…

You also want to record motion etc which you cannot do in HA as it is not a dedicated cctv system… so I am only going to say this once more…

Get a centralised cctv system that is integrated with HA (Zoneminder is the only one at present and hence me requesting for someone smarter than me to look into a Shinobi component)

Don’t waste your money on cheap NVR that will more than likely never get integrated into HA as a component…

I tried Shinobi on an Ubuntu machine, after 3 hours of work, without succeeding, I gave up. My fault, I have limited knowledge of Linux

Just follow these steps: http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installationguide/ubuntu.html

I knew nothing about linux before I started configuring Zoneminder… hence me starting this post off with the comment on learning curves, but if you simply follow nthe steps in the site above you should get it working, it then just takes a bit of tinkering to configure your cameras, but ONVIF should work if you have ONVIF capable camera’s

Shinobi or zoneminder?