Should I buy an eMMC module for the ODROID N2+ or will an SD card suffice

I would like to buy an ODROID, but I don’t know whether to buy an eMMC module or a SD card?
Has anyone tested it with SD card?
The eMMC module is expensive but I’ll go for it if it is the best solution, and if the eMMC module the best solution how much storage should it have?

All SD cards will eventually wear out, while better than the original designs, SD cards are fundamentally not designed for lots of consistent writes. SSDs don’t have the same issue. So while an SD will work fine for now youll need to plan on replacing it in a year or two. For me that’s an easy decision.

1 Like

@NathanCu Thank you so much for helping :grinning: :+1:
Would you take the eMMC module?
And how much storage should i get?

I have the Odroid N2+ with eMMC module. After having replaced 3 SD cards withing a year on Raspberry Pi, I tried SSD through USB. But I had stability issues (like crashes after a month etc). Ultimately I decided to get the Odroid N2+ with an eMMC module. Has been rock solid for over 18 months now. Though an eMMC is not as fast or failproof as an SSD, it works a lot better than microsd.

I have 64GB and have used 30GB of storage. I believe 16GB is not enough once you start using more add-ons (and want to use history larger than a few days). 32GB could be enough, but there was only €10 difference so I went with 64GB. Make sure you get an eMMC made for the Odroid N2+, there are also eMMC’s for other Odroid boards, which won’t work. And buy a USB adapter, so you can flash the eMMC on your PC with Home Assistant OS.

3 Likes

Every single time an eMMC SSD over SD if it’s an option. Cost is not an issue.

How much is a function of what you intend to do with it. You can fit a base HA install in half a gigabyte with room to spare. But… Who wants just base. :wink:

My current install is sitting at about 8G on the disk and growing at about a GB every 6mo with no external maintenance. I figure I’m fairly stable so I could probably stay under 10GB easily indefinitely.

1 Like

OK, am going to buy an eMMC module with 64 gb. Thank you :grinning:

@ASNNetworks
Can i use a SSD for the ODROID N2+?

Not directly from what I gathered. You will need a microsd/emmc as boot and then the SSD through USB SATA for data. Not exactly plug & play. I haven’t tried myself, because I’m not a fan of USB boot hanging from my Odroid. I like the enclosed solution with the eMMC built in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have a new Ordroid N2+ with an 32GB emmc installed. However, HA is installed on a 64B SD card of which only 13% is used sofar. I want to move HA to the emmc, but HA won’t let me do so as the emmc capacity is smaller than the SD card. How can I make use of the emmc?