Should I develop an Official integration or HACS

Hello, I’m a .NET dev who wants to do a simple “get-my-feet-wet” integration but I’m unsure which way to go.

I want to create an integration that fetches the prices for the 3 Bulgarian providers of electricity, so let’s say just a web request for each one. The idea is that I create two entities for each provider (day and night tariff) and I update them once per day.

Should I go with an official integration about this or should I just write a HACS one?
I understand that a core integration has a lot more requirements in order to be accepted, but since it’s something that could be used on a national level, that would be nice.

Also since I’m new to Python I would like to debug a lot so I understand what I’m doing.

1 Like

Personally I would develop as a custom component (ie installable via hacs) and work on it until getting it into core. You’ll be able to play with developing it without worrying about the strict requirements then refine it before submitting to core.

Go with HACS. If you have a lot of debugging to do you’ll be able to release updates as soon as you want to rather than having to wait for the monthly release cycle.

2 Likes

I do not fully agree.

When in doubt go with core IMO.
Especially if you are new, as the review process will offer up some guidance you will not get elsewhere.

By doing it in core it’s also available to more people, the users of it does not need to deal with running custom integration code and it’s generally less prone of breaking.

1 Like

All good points.