Should I enable ZWave encryption?

Currently, none of my zwave devices are security devices, but I am looking to add some Aeotec outlets that do support the security command classes. So should I configure the network key, etc? Are there any downsides to doing this? Does it have any impact on my current devices?

The Aeotec smart plugs appear to require encryption if you want all the info

I haven’t noticed any effect on my non-secure bulbs

1 Like

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not… :slight_smile:

@dap35 - I have two Aeotec Smart Switch 6’s and one of the older Aeotec Smart Energy Switches and I seem to be getting all the info without encryption enabled. I can’t imagine there are any attributes I am missing on either of them.

Not sure why it would be?

After adding my Aeotec Smart Switch 6s securely, I haven’t noticed any effect of my other Z-Wave devices added insecurely.

Probably my limited understanding of ZWave; I didn’t think bulbs could be ‘secure’ or ‘non-secure’. Anything you can add here would help me greatly - I am still struggling to learn the ins and outs of ZWave. While everything I have in my setup works exactly the way I want, I still fell like a lot of it is a black box to me.

I was just stating that the bulbs were not added securely. To be clear again:

After adding my Aeotec Smart Switch 6s securely, I haven’t noticed any effect on my other Z-Wave devices added insecurely.

No, I understood that and you were clear in your original post, I just wasn’t aware that lights could be added securely and wasn’t sure if there was a reason why you would. Again, it’s my limited understanding of ZWave - not your wording or anything. Sorry if I am causing a head scratch on your end.

I wasn’t trying to imply they could or could not be.