Should I invest in a new router to solve my hassio problems?

I cant seem to get hassio to be consistantly reachable via .local or ip:8123. Twice now Ive set it up from scratch on a pi3B+ once on wifi once via ethernet. On both occasions it became unreachable after a day or two (even though my pi can be seen on the network using fing etc). Same problem regardless of which browser or PC I use.

I wonder, is it just that I have a crappy router? Im using an ISP supplied Netgear CG3000v2.

clutching at straws here, but any insights would be greatly appreciated…

Did you connect a console to your pi? Maybe a corrupt sd card.

I concur. These types of problems 99% of the time are either a poor quality SD-Card or an inadequate power supply.

1 Like

Thank you BBrendon and DavidFW1960 for your suggestions.

1. I was using a 3.5A power supply, but I swopped it out for one that had been running another pi3B+ without a bother - no change, so I think my power is OK
  2. Im using a verbatim 32GB class10 - maybe should be OK? image
  3. I hooked up a monitor as you suggested- lots of text streaming past - not sure what to look out for to be honest but the last two lines included the words “wlan0: link is not ready” and “power management disabled” which sounds vagely not good…

Does that seem wrong to you or Can you give me an idea of what else to look for there?

Again, much appreciate your help with this

I have no experience with those but I would be trying another card… High Endurance cards are generally recommended. I have used Samsung EVO’s as well with no problems. Poor SD-Cards exhibit the exact behaviour you report. I was originally using a card I got with my Pi with NOOBS on it reflashed for Hassio and it did exactly what you describe. Changed the card - end of problems.

1 Like

Thanks David, I will try a samsung card as you suggest. Cheers

I’m not sure it is the card, given the errors noted and a lot of poor reviews for this modem/router. Still it’s cheaper to try a new SD card first.

How many clients do you have connected to the router?

Seconding David’s recommendation. Samsung Evo has held up very well for me.

Cheers ok, about 25 devices connected in all…

Ok, thanks

He actually suggested a high endurance card, the SanDisk ones are available at sensible prices now and intended for the kind of abuse a pi running ha will subject it to.

The router is the very last thing I would suspect. I have seen this exact same thing before on my own system and others and it was the SD-Card.

1 Like

I see, cheers

That seems to have done the trick, thanks!

if you have decent amount of physical sensors or sensor templates. I would suggest moving to a SSD or a HDD. I have had multiple issues running mariadb and emoncms as well as home assistant on my RPI B+ due to the amount of logging and data recording I am incurring. I switched to an external SSD, and WOW the speed increase was (is) awesome.

Cool, didnt know you could boot a pi from an external drive

The RPi B+ is very easy to boot from an external. With no micro-SD card inserted, USB drive plugged in, it will search for boot sector, if none found, it will search USB automatically

The problem is that HassOS does not support USB boot.

My mistake I didnt realize that. I use Home Assistant standard install (not HassOS)