Should I use nuc instead of pi?

Fair point, I didn’t really consider hassio, I guess I think that most core automations like lighting that use e.g. Hue or Z-Wave, these require you to set something up locally.

Hmmm - disagree - but it depends what you mean by “very efficient”. Of course it’s nothing like the Pi, and probably more than a NUC, but original poster brought up the subject of reliability, he didn’t mention power requirements other than that he uses a battery backup - so that’s definitely a plus for dual redundant power supplies - or at least some kind of Pi clustering for example.

As for me, my home server runs multiple VMs and uses only about 110W of power. Less than my old PC!

(But yes, possibly more than a NUC and definitely more than a Pi)

It’s a trade-off - you must spend more for increased reliability. Same is true of burgers…

In my book running multiple vm is not the most stable way to do things. Thats why I have a NUC dedicated for Home automation and security. Nothing else will ever be allowed on that machine

1 Like

Going slightly off topic

I have an i5 5xxxx nuc. Currently running Ubuntu desktop and docker and hass.io and it sits headless in a cupboard.

I also have an i3-2100 with 16gb ram and a 400w seasonic gold PSU and 12 X HDD in it.

The 12 X HDD are jbod style with a snapshot parity drive and store media only and doesn’t have to be available 24x7. I only need to access the data when I watch a movie. These means all the HDD are sleeping most of the time and if I watch something then only a single HDD will spin up.

I want to also install sonarr and radarr.

Do you think I should move h.a. from the nuc onto the i3-2100 and have it powered 24/7 or should I keep the nuc on 24x7 and have the i3-2100 power up as required and sleep mostly.

I live in a loft so something like a R710 is a non-starter. “Quiet” by datacenter standards is still not something I want to have to live and sleep next to.

The NUCs are good in this regard as they are silent.

I run Proxmox (Debian + VM tools and a web UI) and love it. Rock solid, very flexible, and you don’t have to dedicate the entire machine to Home Assistant, which as others have noted is way overkill.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

As far as some of the homelab-y type things I have 2 NUCs in a cluster using some of the high availability features but this is overkill really… snapshots/backups of the HA VM get backed up to my NAS, if something goes wrong I can just start up an image of the whole VM elsewhere.

Here are my notes from when I originally converted over to Proxmox, with HassIO in a VM.

3 Likes

I agree that a nuc is overkill for only HA but as I slso run the cctv/dvr on it its perfect. I see now that people star to try face and object recognitipn on pi and it will fail. On the nuc its flawless, the xeoma cctv has all of tjat built in

1 Like

You could also consider a MSI cubi n instead of a nuc. It is available in Germany and costs 109 for the Celeron and 145 for the Pentium CPU. It consumes about 4 watt and is totally silent.

OT is it resource hungry?

Yup - kinda.
I mostly use it as an automatic backup for the photos & videos we take on our mobile devices - and that works rather well.
But when I try to browse through the thumbnails it’s a little slow, but given that it was once a freebie at a conference, I’m trying not to complain too much.
Maybe I need to look into getting some more RAM again and running HA in a container on it.

Just a question. I assume you have 2x4gb memory, not one 8gb?

You would assume incorrectly, I used an 8gb stick I already had and have ordered a second just need to pick it up. I am managing memory leak with a cron job at 1am every morning.

Then you would see a dramatic change in behaviour. 2x4 would be much faster than 1x8 and 1 empty slot. I did the same from start because I missed to order 2.

1 Like

Running a Pi with the operating system and apps on an SSD takes the worry out of SD card failure. With a PI3 you don’t even need the SD present to boot. Small SSD’s are available at low cost.
Even a used SSD is a reasonable choice. It just isn’t going to see much traffic.

2 Likes

Is the hass image new enough to boot from SSD on the usb ?

Seems like a good idea for my purposes, as I am not going to use face recognition there yet - pi is really enough, I just want it to be stable.
Could you give me an example of ssd which I can use? I did not use that before and as I see there are different once

Should I buy some connecter or there is usb ssd type?
And are there any differences on booting up hassos on pi with ssd?
And yes, I use hassio
P.S. What about usb stick? Is it ok to use that?

1 Like

You will need an external disk case( I use this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-SATA-2-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-External-Enclosure-HDD-Mobile-Disk-Box-Case/162603187928?hash=item25dbe7bed8:m:mCBpTL2zq6FdyFVuh9SXaMw:rk:2:pf:0).
And then you can use any SATA SSD.
I don’t think USB stick are any better than SD cards.

1 Like

Do you just burn the Hass image to the SSD and let it get to work? or is there more configuration needed like installing Docker etc?

I’m deciding between a High Endurange SD and a small SSD. The small SSD seems more bulletproof than the SSD and in theory at least should be a tidy bit faster in use (although probably slower to boot?)

This may be of interest to you: https://www.jamesachambers.com/2018/03/raspberry-pi-3b-microsd-vs-ssd-speed-benchmarks/

tl;dr
SSD

1 Like

I use hassio on Ubuntu Server with docker install. I don’t know if it will work with Hass image burned on SSD.

Could you tell me in a bit more detail on what you exactly did? Want to use the same setup (Ubuntu server, docker, hassio). Thanks!

Install Ubuntu.

Install docker-ce (not docker.io)

Install the prerequisites for hassio linux install.

Run the script for hassio linux install.

2 Likes