Should I use nuc instead of pi?

There is commands for installing at the end of page: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

That is the exact article that brought to my attention SSDs.

I am struggling with getting something that is more bulletproof but then needing to work out how to set up the OS, compared to just burning an SD and throwing it in…
(not being confident with Docker/Linux/SSH,etc)

If I could just burn the image to the SSD and expand the file-system to fill the available space on the drive, connect it up and jobs a good one its a no brainer option.
If it will involve me tinkering around for a few evenings to get it working as expected, I’d need to propose a business case to the wife… :frowning:

I’ve done just that over the last two weeks.

Bought a 128GB SSD for less than $40 and moved my previous ‘HA in a Venv’-installl onto it.

Tried to run it before with the log and db files on a USB stick, but that just didn’t cut it - the write speeds just weren’t good enough to make it run smoothly.

My biggest problem, though, was that I wanted to transfer my old NOOBS install to a proper Rasbpian-only setup while keeping all the other config like FTP Server for security cams, etc.
Setting it up from scratch would have cost me only 10% of the time.

I have recently moved to the Intel NUC7PJYH J5005 NUC. Quad Core Pentium, WiFi and Bluetooth built in, SFF, x4 USB and SD card reader. The CPU has a TDP of 10w and performance of old legendary Q6600.

Covers almost all that you need, and is very cost effective for what it can do. I picked up an brand new one, 8gb 2133mHz RAM, and a 120gb SSD for $400 AUD.

Installed Ubuntu (officially supported on this model), and run HA, Motioneye, Unifi, MQTT and Syncthing all in a Docker stack. Doesn’t skip a beat and is very quick for reboots, etc.

Can highly recommend.

I have switched from raspberry pi3 running HASS.IO to intel NUC running Docker and homeassistant.
I have old NUC, with 4GB DDR3, 32GB Kingston SSD, CPU is only 1.10 GHz DualCore, but I can confirm it runs a lot faster and stable than RPI3.
Cpu mainly sits at around 6% (15% when transmission is downloading), 4GB RAM is more than enough, usualy 35% usage, HDD is 50% used, so 32GB is bare minimum.
I’m running total of 10 containers atm.

This is exactly the model I’m looking at.
How long does a hassio restart take on this? And are you still pleased with it?

Super happy with it. Takes about 30 seconds for HA to restart.

Hey guys. As I do not need something as powerfull as Nuc is (for parent’s house) and I just need reliability (do not want sd card issue), I think that another microcomputer could do tha job? Something between pi and nuc in price.

Khadas vim 2 basic? It has flash memory, so I can go without sd card and the issue is gone.

Am I getting something wrong?

You could try with an old laptop with either Hassio or Virtualenv installs.

It has also the benefit of internal battery that will keep going case of (relatively short) power failures so no need to invest, from the start, in an UPS.

An old laptop Will probably be more costly than going for a cheap NUC. Laptops generally use more power than NUC’s and with a 24/7 device the powerbill adds up quickly