Should I use nuc instead of pi?

Did you get one? Any good? What case and parts did you get with it?

Iā€™m still looking at my options as I got a shock when the total amount came up with freight when I added all the bits to my cart. My current system is handling it so there is no rush but I will need to do something soon.

There are a few similar products out there which can achieve <5watt power draw at idle as they all use the j4105 / j5005 processorā€¦

Asrock make an ITX j5005 board but to get low power draw you would need to use a pico supply and stay away from atx power supplies. Ends up more expensive.

ASRock J4205-ITX and Gigabyte J4105N H are other ITX boards that I just found tonight.

Gigabyte brix and Intel nuc are just too limited with expansion options if wanting to make it a dual purpose box for snap raid like I am.

Odroid seems to come out slightly cheaper but is not as flexible with future upgrade paths as the ITX boards.

I would go the case type 1 as you can install 3.5" drives or 2.5" ones with brackets. Donā€™t forget to get the sata/power cable set as they look custom cables.

Hello again! SD card is finally dead, so I am looking for a nuc
I need it only for hassio, so Iā€™ve choosed cheapest one. Is this ok: Intel NUC, BOXNUC5CPYH? Or this one: BOXNUC5PPYH?
I need to buy SSD as well, what about this? (64)

And should I also buy flash memory? (4)

Although none of the two options is a speed daemon, the N3700 processor in NUC5PPYH would give you some spare performance case you later decide to install also some Hassio addons.

Youā€™re probably fine with a 32 GB SSD as well, however 64 GB option would also extend the lifespan of the device by having a larger pool for write.

As far as I can tell from that page, the memory chosen is 1.5 V. Indicated NUCs only use DDR3L (1.35 V) boards so it wonā€™t work. Again, 2GB should be sufficient (Rpis, at least until 4, only used 1 GB) but with 4 GB the swap file on SSD will likely be less used.

Pi will still be fine :slight_smile: