Show data from own weatherstation

Do you have anything that may help me with setting this up?

I’ve got Weewx installed as well as Mosquitto MQTT, i think they are talking. How do i check? The weather station i have is the WH2900.

Also, how do i configure the Weather Station to talk back?

I was trying to get a non upload-download solution for my own WH2900 via RF but in the meantime I have just used this. It’s only useful for persons with an actual PWS uploading to WU, as they won’t give a new api key unless you have one that is uploading.
I have, so it’s an easy solution for me. It was very easy to setup in HA and so far works without flaw.

2 Likes

Are you getting data into weewx?

Does anybody know how to do this on hassio?
I believe go cannot be installed on a hassio installation…

Currently the only way would be to build the program on your local machine (using Go) and then copy the resulting binary file onto your hassio server. Eventually I’ll provide binaries directly from the gitlab page, but I haven’t had a chance to set that up yet.

A guide on cross compiling a Go application for Raspberry Pi 3: https://medium.com/@eduard.iskandarov/golang-development-for-raspberry-pi-3-getting-started-c6d5a97850d1

There’s currently not an easier way.

i would be so grateful if the binary could be provided keeping fingers crossed

would this even be possible to distribute as a custom component on HACS?

I ended up writing a script to gets the data from WU, and DarkSky (for current observation ie, sunny, cloudy) and it then writes the results to a weather entity in HA. I then have an automation in HA that runs it every 5 minutes. So far it’s worked out great.

I made this back when WU first killed off their old API, so I an API key which is needed, but this has worked flawless for me so I haven’t bothered to change it.

Hi Gabriel

I’m expecting delivery of my ecowitt in the next few weeks and I want to get the info into HA via mqtt and Cumulus. Can you do that running your programme please?

actually… no need, as Cumulus now supports MQTT, result!!

1 Like

Hi Mark, the Ecowitt you are receiving in the next few weeks, is it a GW1000 gateway or a full Ecowitt weather station ?
Interested to hear about how you go, particularly if it’s one of their WiFi weather stations. Speaking of Go, I know nothing about what that is, but I gather you do :slight_smile:

I went for this package as it doesn’t come with a screen, which I would never use and keeps the price down. and has the GW1000. Hooked up with cumulus, which I have used since 2013, I can now feed into HA via mqtt… perfect

1 Like

I don’t know how to distribute something on HACS, but here are a few binaries: https://gitlab.com/gabeguz/ecowitt/-/tags/0.0.1 Not sure what platform you are on, but hopefully it’s one of those. If not, let me know and I should be able to cross compile for other platforms as well.

Hey, I’m just getting started with HA and was led down this path partially due to an Ecowitt GW1000 that I use to monitor soil moisture with. I found your code, but am confused as to how I get it up and running. I have the Ecowitt app you compiled. What do I do with it? Does it just run as a daemon on my ubuntu host?

Yeah… I just run it as a deamon on the machine that’s running home assistant and mosquitto.

Can I send data from my weather sensors in HomeAssistant as PWS data to Weather underground?

Hi all, I am also looking at the gw1000 as it seems like a good universal weather sensor connection point. i have a few questions if I may:
Can this daemon pull in all kinds of sensor data such as wind speed rain fall and soil moisture?
Can this be run in a docker container or something similar as I don’t have an always on linux pc only Hassio?
If this redirects the data from uploading to WU is there any way to get the data to WU so you could still have a personal weather station in WU?
Thanks @gabeguz for building a more straightforward way to get data into HA

Hi there,
I was searching for a solution to this problem too, and found this custom integration: https://github.com/garbled1/homeassistant_ecowitt. I will try over the weekend, but it seems an straight-forward solution.

1 Like

Hello, I have Ecowitt GW1000 with several sensors, not supported by Weewx. I installed Cumulus MX and would like to send data by mqtt. How do I set it up that these sensors get send?

I’ve got this working for the WH2900 weatherstation but i can only get Absolute Pressure, Relative Pressure, Humidity and Temperature.

Is there a way i can get wind speed and rain?

1 Like

Yes, but I’ll have to add support in the code. That weatherstation provides wind speed + rain? I don’t have one to test with so I’ll just have to wing it and see if it works. My weather station only has temp/pressure/humidity sensors… so that’s what the code looks for. I’l see if I have time to add this later this week: https://gitlab.com/gabeguz/ecowitt/-/issues/5

Hi, I’ve released a new version (https://gitlab.com/gabeguz/ecowitt/-/releases/0.0.2) that has a -verbose flag to help me get the info I need to support your weather station. If you have time, can you upgrade to the latest version and then run the program with the -verbose flag and send me the output (can take a minute or two before there is any output)? Should look something like this:

./ecowitt -verbose
map["PASSKEY":["********************"] "baromabsin":["29.167"] "baromrelin":["29.167"] "batt1":["0"] "batt2":["0"] "dateutc":["20
20-07-29 10:39:27"] "freq":["915M"] "humidity1":["84"] "humidity2":["78"] "humidityin":["66"] "model":["GW1000_Pro"] "stationtype":["GW1000B_
V1.5.8"] "temp1f":["70.52"] "temp2f":["67.46"] "tempinf":["72.5"]]
1 Like