Show XBOX as a set top box within Homekit

Currently Xbox is displayed as a collection of switches within home kit when using the Xbox integration and the HomeKit integration. It would be awesome if it could be displayed as a set top box like the Homebridge plug-in. This would enable users to select sources as well the on/off function.

If you add a device class for the Xbox to your configuration.yaml, it should show up as a TV instead. For example…

media_player.xbox_series_x:
 device_class: tv

But that only gives you on and off from my experience. It looks like the Homebridge plugin gives you a bit more functionality. I agree it would be great if we could setup as a set top box though!

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the long response I had no idea anybody had replied. This sounds like exactly what I need are you able to advise is this just adding the line to configuration.yaml or does this need to be done under homekit config? as I’ve got the HK integration set up via the UI rather than YAML. TIA

You need to add it under Home Assistant > Customize in your YAML, rather then under HomeKit. You’ll then need to add a HomeKit instance just for ‘media player’ and it should give you the option to add the Xbox as a TV. Here’s how mine is setup:

homeassistant:

customize:
    # Add an entry for each entity that you want to overwrite.

media_player.xbox_series_x:
      device_class: tv

Here’s a bit more information on custom entities. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I did probably connected my Xbox Console recently to Homekit nd it does works pretty well with the Configuration i had been using .
Do you suggest Home assistant rather than the Homebridge ?
Integrations like picture elements card, sensors, Binary sensor, and Media source.