Showing a duration in frontend?

I want to show a running clock in the frontend that indicates the duration since some sensor changed state.

When searching for a solution to this, I found a lot about timers and countdowns, but apparently no one wants to count time upwards, i.e. show a duration.

I even found an nice looking flipdown timer card but it seems to do nothing. It always shows 00:00, neither counts downwards nor upwards and it’s showing two ‘x’ buttons (but should show five?) which are doing nothing or resulting in errors about non existing services. But maybe I didn’t understand it’s purpose or how it should be used.

Can anyone point me into the right direction? Is there anything I could use for that purpose?

Besides it does not count up, but only down, the flipdown timer card works fine and flawlessly.
But you have to set initial timers in configuration.yaml

I have this in configuration.yaml:

# Timers
timer:
  kookwekker1:
    duration: "00:01:00"
  kookwekker2:
    duration: "00:01:00"

This is the card code:

type: vertical-stack
cards:
  - type: horizontal-stack
    cards:
      - type: custom:flipdown-timer-card
        show_hour: true
        show_title: true
        theme: dark
        duration: '00:01:00'
        styles:
          rotor:
            width: 60px
            height: 80px
          button:
            width: 80px
        entity: timer.kookwekker1
  - type: horizontal-stack
    cards:
      - type: custom:flipdown-timer-card
        show_hour: true
        show_title: true
        theme: dark
        duration: '00:01:00'
        styles:
          rotor:
            width: 60px
            height: 80px
          button:
            width: 80px
        entity: timer.kookwekker2
  - type: shopping-list
    title: Boodschappenlijst

and that results in this with the card:

afbeelding

Tapping any number on the flipdown we can adjust the time to any desired time and press start. We use it for cooking timers for a long time and are fully satisfied… :wink:

If you use something like the mushroom entity card, you can show the last_changed as secondary info.

Today I found a solution for a stopwatch, which is basically what I was looking for. It can be triggered by an automation by switching an input_boolean to On. So, everything I need for my use case:

Maybe I’ll have a deeper look into the flip down card and see, if I can combine it with this stopwatch, because I like the design of this card, but for now, the stopwatch does the trick.

2 Likes