Showing Basic RSSI - Prometheus Exporter

Hello HA members. I wanted to swing by and say “thank you” for the additional data now being exposed, specifically the “Basic RSSI” for Zigbee devices. I’m not sure which recent version of HA added the exposed metrics - but it’s nice to have!!

I did have to go back into each device and update the Friendly Name and Entity since the new update took the defaults rather than my edited name… but easy enough!

Thanks again!!

_DS

1 Like

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/62716 added LQI and RSSI in Home Assistant 2022.2

1 Like

Nice idea! Have you considered doing the same export for LQI (Link Quality Indicator) values as well?

Easy ways to show lists of RSSI and LQI values could make troubleshooting connection issues easier.

By the way, it should maybe be mentioned that high negative values of RSS show a noisy environment with much Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) / Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and in which case you should try to take action by adding electromagnetic shielding to computers/appliances and cables or simply optimize WiFi channels + to move away devices from sources that cause signal interference. See:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864

1 Like

Hi @Hedda

Dunno if this question belongs here but maybe you could have a look at it since you are involved in the zigbee network backup/restore aswell.

Apperently in the zha.toolkit running in HACS there is a good backup solution plus lots of other features for zigbee networks. However when your coordinator is connected to a TTY bus/port the backup does not work. iow it needs to be connected to a USB bus/port.

In my case with the a CC2531 coordinator running through tty I’m unable to backup and restore more over unable to switch from my current setup to a new sonoff coordinator while maintaining my device names and hence my zigbee based automations.

Is there something in the pipeline addressing this issue or is there a way to first changing from tty to usb? (For average linux user not entirely familiar with cli commands)

I did also try the method explained by Louis on youtube but that eventually failed or got stuck.

It does not belong here. Suggest continue in other threads on the same topic or start a new one.

Recommend post in the thread for zha-toolkit instead → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zha-toolkit-toolkit-service-providing-low-and-high-level-zigbee-commands-through-zha-zigpy/373346

As a workaround should just be able disable ZHA then change the device path in YAML configuration.

Not sure if the root cause of not being able to use TTY is only a bug in zha-toolkit or home assistant, but suggest reporting it as an issue to zha-toolkit

https://github.com/mdeweerd/zha-toolkit/issueshttps://github.com/mdeweerd/zha-toolkit/issues

Understand if he maybe will say that you need to report it as an issue to home-assistant core instead. Perhaps the answer will be user-user and everyone needs to change from tty to USB bus/port but then it would be nice if the ZHA integration component config flow did not give you the option to use tty at all.

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues

Thanks, @Hedda - I went back and added in the LQI details!

Certainly, a good metric to track when I get into some trouble! When I got started with Zigbee many many years ago - I ran into a situation where everything went offline and the batteries drained out in just a few hours. Come to find out that I had set my Wifi to Channel 1 not knowing that doing so was stomping on my Zigbee devices! Whoa! :slight_smile: Lesson learned!!

I’ll certainly visit the Zigbee details. Always learning! Thanks!